Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy Phoenix 810-150se desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My display will not receive a signal from the PC.  I then unplug and plug in the HDMI cable, multiple times, turning the PC off and then back on with each unplug plug in process until a signal is received from PC.  The screen message is " NO SIGNAL HDMI"  and then the screen shuts down.

I have a 2 GB AMD Radeon R9 270 (2xDVI, HDMI,DP, DVI to VGA adapter) card that I think is flakey.   

I have done, repeatedly, unplugging the PC, and holding the on button for 10+ seconds.  Does not help.

Another note.  It seems when the weather changes from summer to winter and vice versa, this happens.  Then weather stabilzes and the problem stops... until the next season arrives.

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@alrprairie Here's a few things you can try:

Force Windows to detect your monitor – Maybe Windows didn’t recognize your second display’s connection. To force it to check again, right-click the desktop and select Display Settings from the resulting pop-up menu. In the following window, click the Detect button located under the display diagram.

Turn the screen off and on – Some connection types don’t like hot swapping while a monitor is powered on. Turn the display off and then on again. That may be all it needs to recognize the video feed and start displaying it correctly.

Verify cable connections – It might sound obvious, but a loose cable can cause no signal errors more often than any other problem. If they do seem well secured, unplug and plug them in again just to be sure.

Verify the correct input – Monitors with multiple input options need you to manually select which cable (port) you’re using, like HDMI 1, HDMI 2, DisplayPort, and so on. Use the buttons on your monitor to cycle through these “channels” and select the correct input from your PC.

Change data cable – If you’re using an older cable standard like VGA or DVI-D, you might want to try a newer alternative like HDMI or DisplayPort. You can also try using a new cable in case the old one has issues (bent pins, a short, exposed wire, etc.).

Change the graphics port – If you’re using a dedicated graphics card with multiple output ports, try swapping which one you use. Sometimes ports themselves can be damaged and switching to another is all you need to do to correct it.

Update your drivers – Windows 10 supports multiple monitors by default, but your current setup may not be configured correctly. Making sure you’re running the latest graphics drivers for your system can sometimes fix problems with no signal errors.

If you’re still having trouble with the additional monitor, verify that it works by unplugging the primary screen and double-checking the above steps again. If it does, consider running it as the primary display until you determine the root problem. If it doesn’t, contact your retailer or manufacturer to discuss a return or replacement.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will try those that I have not already done.  Please note that I have only one monitor.  I don't have a second one, and this tm23 monitor is the only one for the last 6+ years.

Would you recommend a new graphics card?

Would that take care of all the possible issues you mentioned?

FYI I have replaced the power supply.  While that doesn't make me an expert, I at least have that experience when simply replacing plug in parts.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention, I have tried new HDMI and dpi cables.  Same problem.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@alrprairie Looks like there could be an issue with the port, if you've already tried alternate cables and yet the issue persists, that said, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.