Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 27-k150xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Desktop, an Envy, running Windows 10 with the latest update. Recently, 2 bluetooth speakers that I have been able to pair previously, now no longer will pair with my desktop. The speakers do pair with my phone, so I believe the issue is the desktop, I have done all the basic steps recommended on this board and others. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, run the Bluetooth troubleshooter etc etc.  When checking the bluetooth icon in the system tray, I noticed that the Allow Device to Connect is grayed out. In Settings however,  Allow Bluetooth Devices to Connect to this PC is checked.  Is there something in the registry that needs to be changed? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Sounds to me like your PC has the old Ralink wifi/Bluetooth adapter, which doesn't work with the latest couple of releases of W10.   It completely disappears from the device manager.

You must not be using wifi to connect to the internet, or that wouldn't work either.

You can confirm that by going back to the device manager. 

At the top of the window, click on the View tab, select 'Show Hidden Devices.'

Now click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category, and no doubt you will see a Ralink RT3290 wifi adapter in light shade.

No fix other than to replace that card with a newer model or purchase an external USB Bluetooth adapter.

You would only be able to replace the internal card if there are two antenna cables currently connected to it.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

What model wifi adapter does your PC have?

If you don't know, go to the device manager, click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category and there you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

Bluetooth is an integral part of the wifi card.

HP Recommended

In the Device Manager,  there is one Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

The wifi adapter model will be listed under the Network Adapters device manager category.

HP Recommended

That's it, it just says "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

HP Recommended

Hi:

Sounds to me like your PC has the old Ralink wifi/Bluetooth adapter, which doesn't work with the latest couple of releases of W10.   It completely disappears from the device manager.

You must not be using wifi to connect to the internet, or that wouldn't work either.

You can confirm that by going back to the device manager. 

At the top of the window, click on the View tab, select 'Show Hidden Devices.'

Now click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category, and no doubt you will see a Ralink RT3290 wifi adapter in light shade.

No fix other than to replace that card with a newer model or purchase an external USB Bluetooth adapter.

You would only be able to replace the internal card if there are two antenna cables currently connected to it.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for your reply. It was spot on. The adapter was indeed there under Hidden Devices and it was a Ralink RT3290. I do use a cable and not wifi to connect my computer to the internet,  I will purchase a bluetooth adapter as suggested.

Thank you for your time and expert responses to my situation. Very much appreciated.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I haven't looked lately at what is out there right now (better models?), but I have two of these on my PC's one Dell and one HP and they work fine on W10.

W10 will even automatically install the driver a couple of minutes or less after detecting the device.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-USB-Bluetooth-4-0-Compatible/dp/B007Q45EF4

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at a couple of them but if you have one and it works, sounds good to me. I went ahead and ordered.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

It has the 'been around forever' and reliable Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 chip, so that is why I bought it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.