Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am trying to upload pictures and videos from my SD Card and also from a PRO Duo SD Card, and my computer doesn't seem to be reading them.  I have done this before without any issues.  Please help, these are wedding photos and the bride and groom are counting on me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello knoxlab,

Your computer will not read your SD cards after you performed a recovery on your laptop.

Go into device manager and uninstall the card reader, it should be listed as IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for the card reader.

Here is a link to device manager.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
HP Recommended

Some of the new SD cards are not playing well with older hardware.  since no mention of model number for the computer, I would suggest getting a new card reader (USB driven) that can read the newer SD card format.  The easiest method,  you could connect the camera with the supplied USB cable, that way the camera becomes the card reader.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I thank you for your response.  My computer is only 1 year old, and I think it is capable of performing the task.  It is a HP Pavilion.  I am not very computer savey though.  I will try your suggestion with my SD card and my camera, I think I can manage that.  But, the Pro Duo stick belongs to someone else and a different style of camera.  Oh, and my SD card has been read by this computer in the past.  Is there some reason that you can think of why my computer would no longer be able to do this now?  Could it be broken somehow?

HP Recommended

I have heard of card readers failing.  If it is still under warranty, get it replaced.  Since the card that is not playing nice is not yours, try a new external card reader with the express condition that it read the card in question. (when you question the sales people) Try it on their computer before buying.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I appreciate your helpful suggestions.  :generic:

HP Recommended

This problem has happened to me too, as I tried to put the card into my older HP Desktop and the computer would not read it. But after I would incert the card into my new Laptop and it would read it, I'm guessing it's a technology issue?

HP Recommended

Hi There! I have a HP MEDIA CENTER PC m470n, is there anyway to check any driver for that? so i can read my SD card?

HP Recommended

If the card reader actually still works, then there are no drivers to update.  The OS has any diver needed.  Reread the earlier posts.  Then if still no joy, buy an external card reader.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I just bought a HP Pavilion g7-1139 and could not have been more disappointed to find that a high quality Sony SD card would not work in my new computer and I could not view or download any photos. I just finished a session with HP support and was told that my computer is not compatible with all SD cards and I had to re-install some program they suggested. Not acceptable to have to do this on a brand new computer and I am not one bit happy about this. I am considering returning this computer and getting a different brand. Seriously? An SD card???

HP Recommended

HELLO OUT THERE IN PUTER LAND!

I HAVE A HP LAPTOP (NEWER TYPE)..

WHEN WE FIRST GOT IT, WE HAD NO PROBLEMS GETTING IT TO READ FROM THE SIDE SLOT HER CAMERA SD CARDS.. NOW, THE CURSOR DOES IT'S THING ABOUT 3 TIMES AND THEN QUITS. NOTHING..

I'VE TRIED THE AUTOPLAY OPTIONS AND STILL NOTHING..

WHAT NOW?

VIC.

:womansad:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.