Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0040xt CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The ethernet port stopped working. Tried reinstalling driver through customer support driver detection and chose

Intel WLAN Driver. Did not make ethernet available. Please send link to appropriate place so we can use the ethernet cable once again. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looking at your screenshot, your PC's ethernet adapter is gone.

Did you recently have any major thunderstorm resulting in a power surge or outage?

That can often wreck the internal ethernet chip and there is no way to fix it other than to replace the motherboard.

I recommend that you purchase an external USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter to restore the ethernet connection.

Plug the adapter into one of the PC's rear USB 3.1 ports to get the fastest connection speed.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?hvad...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Intel driver you installed was for an Intel wireless adapter.

If it is an ethernet (wired network) driver issue, you need to install the Realtek LAN driver...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp94501-95000/sp94680.exe

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response Paul. I always appreciate your help.

I downloaded and installed that driver. It did not solve the problem. Install said it was already on computer and did I want to overwrite it. I said yes to all. When I click on Network and Internet settings from the wireless icon in lower right corner this is what I get.

Name: Local Area Connection* 2
Description: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical address (MAC): d2:32:4b:62:fd:5f
Maximum transmission unit: 1500
IPv4 address: 169.254.60.2/16
IPv6 address: fe80::257f:93d8:27df:3c02%19/64
DNS servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1, fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1, fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Disconnected

Name: Local Area Connection* 3
Description: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical address (MAC): 92:32:4b:62:fd:5f
IPv4 address: 169.254.105.17/16
IPv6 address: fe80::b199:2255:541b:6911%4/64

Name: Wi-Fi 2
Description: Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter #2
Physical address (MAC): 90:32:4b:62:fd:5f
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 144/144 (Mbps)
DHCP enabled: Yes
DHCP servers: 192.168.1.1
DHCP lease obtained: ‎Thursday, ‎August ‎22, ‎2019 8:19:40 AM
DHCP lease expires: ‎Friday, ‎August ‎23, ‎2019 8:19:40 AM
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.3/24
IPv6 address: fe80::7c09:3c01:37dc:c4d7%6/64
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS servers: 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.1
DNS domain name: Home
DNS connection suffix: Home
DNS search suffix list:
Network name: Hirsch 2.4G
Network category: Private
Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Connected to Internet / Connected to unknown network

Name: Bluetooth Network Connection
Description: Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical address (MAC): 90:32:4b:62:fd:60
IPv4 address: 169.254.121.233/16
IPv6 address: fe80::3d55:25b2:2c87:79e9%9/64

Name: Ethernet 2
Description: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2
Physical address (MAC): 10:e7:c6:0f:93:59
Maximum transmission unit: 0

HP Recommended

Paul,

This is what I see under Network Adapters in Device Manager. Thanks again for any assistance you can offer.

clipboard_image_0.png

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looking at your screenshot, your PC's ethernet adapter is gone.

Did you recently have any major thunderstorm resulting in a power surge or outage?

That can often wreck the internal ethernet chip and there is no way to fix it other than to replace the motherboard.

I recommend that you purchase an external USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter to restore the ethernet connection.

Plug the adapter into one of the PC's rear USB 3.1 ports to get the fastest connection speed.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00M77HMU0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?hvad...

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul.

That is probably the issue. We have had thunderstorms (unfortunately no rain here, but other places, VERY dry). One was closer and it apparently took out our router. They replaced it earlier this week. I guess the two happened at the same time. I would guess their fiber optic cable coming into the house had the surge. Luckily our battery back up protected the computer.

Would a surge account for the fact that the desktop starts up now when I start up the surge protector in the morning?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If the lighting took out the router and they had to replace it, then it definitely took out the onboard ethernet chip.

I don't know about the desktop starting automatically.

Did you check in the BIOS to see if there is a setting to leave the PC off in the event of a power loss?

My PC's have a BIOS setting to leave the machine off in the event of a power loss.

I can change the setting to automatically power on the PC after a power loss.

Some BIOS settings have the default as to turn the PC back on in the event of a power loss.

If you leave the surge protector on and shut down the PC, do you have to press the power button to turn it back on?

If so, it most likely it is not a power surge issue.

HP Recommended

I ordered the USB/Ethernet cable earlier today. It should be here Monday.

There wasn't a power loss at all, except the router stopped working. It all happened on Sunday and we don't use the desktop on Sunday's typically so it was off.  The surge protector was on for the router and we use WiFi for our Kindle tablets.

We shut off the surge protector at night along with shutting down the desktop and Kindles. I'll look into the BIOS and see if something changed. I'll also check the surge protector manager and see if something there changed - possible and hadn't thought of that until you mentioned the BIOS. 

I thank you and appreciate for your expertise. I  consider this problem solved.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Whatever it was, something caused the ethernet adapter to go kaput.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.