Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I got an HP printer a few years back and signed up for instant ink - thinking this was a great offer. However, as I hardly ever print (but print quite a lot when I do) it was a horrible deal and I recently decided to cancel it. Really hated the service and found it pretty hard to cancel. The HP support pages & service are pretty hard to navigate.

After not using the printer for months, I tried to use it today. The cartridge is still full, as I hardly used it since it came. But now I find out that HP has cancelled the cartridge. Not only is it massively frustrating to have paid a lot for the service in the first place, going through lots of trouble to cancel it - now I can't even use the cartridge that I paid for! And HP didn't even warn me clearly that I'd have to buy a new cartridge and throw a full one out because they'd block it. What sort of insanely bad service is this?

If anyone is thinking of using Instant Ink - don't do it if you don't print a steady amount. It's expensive. hard to get rid of and HP will block your printer afterwards. Worst. Service. Ever.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@AnonHelp

I am sorry you are disappointed that you cannot continue to use Instant Ink cartridges once the service is discontinured.

Instant Ink Service includes the use of Instant Ink cartridges during the time the service / contract is active.

After cancellation, you should have returned the Instant Ink cartridges to HP as explained in your Terms of Service contract.

For example:

HP Instant Ink - USA - Terms of Service

Lots of important information and definitions, including:

#  4:  Printer Needs to be Connected to Internet

#  5:  Instant Ink Program Cartridges Must Be Returned by You to HP

#  7:  Service Plans -- What is a page?

#  8:  Rollover Pages

#13:  Customer Support Center -- Cloud Services Contact Phone Number and online contact link

#15:  Cancellation

Please remove (all of) the Instant Ink cartridges and purchase regular Ink for your printer.

If you have not done so, switch OFF web services (on the front panel of your printer).

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

If i return the cartridges do they unblock my account? i never installed the instant ink cateridges i still have the cartridges that came with the printer, so if i post back the unused catridges do i get unblocked?

HP Recommended

@welshmantaylor

Without any context (details about your own situation), we cannot provide a precise answer.  Current thread was answered in January 2018 for the Member who originated the inquiry. 

IN GENERAL,

If your intention was to have cancelled / terminated the subscription to Instant Ink, it is normal the Instant Ink account is locked after the subscription is cancelled.

It is unclear why the locked Instant Ink account is keeping the printer from working.

With the exception of Instant Ink "ready" cartridges that came with the printer, Instant Ink cartridges must be returned to HP when the Instant Ink contract is terminated by the subscriber or by HP.

What to do?

If you did not do so, and if your subscription is cancelled, switch off Web Services.

How to > Instant Ink > Turning Off Web Services

Wait a few minutes - Reboot the printer.

No Joy?  Cannot print?

What to do?

I suggest you start a new thread of your own:  Include the printer model and an explanation of what has happened (the problem).   Be sure you mention the issue appears to be connected to a cancelled Instant Ink subscription.

OR

Contact Instant Ink Support in your region.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reference

HP Instant Ink - Cancelling Your HP Instant Ink Service

Scroll to the bottom and click the Flag to change region.

HP Instant Ink Service Contract

HP Instant Ink - Terms of Service  (Click Flag to switch to your region)

Topics (Sections) in the document include (and are not limited to):

• Customer Support Center -- Cloud Services Contact Phone Number / options
  • Instant Ink Service Requirements – including subtopics:
    • Printer Needs to be Connected to Internet
    • Instant Ink Program Cartridges Provided to You (Read this one!)
    • Instant Ink Program Cartridges Must Be Returned to HP by You (Read this one!)
  • Choosing an Instant Ink Service Plan – including subtopics:
    • What is a page? (Read this one!)
    • Rollover Pages (Reminder: The Free plan does not include “rollover” pages)
  • Cancellation
  • Instant Ink Programs – including subtopics:
    • Fifteen (15) -Free-Pages-Per-Month Program (Where available)

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.