Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Model 23-q113w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone.  I hope someone here can help.

A friend of mine recently purchased a HP Pavilion.  I think it's a Pavilion 23 to be exact.  I know the model: 23-q113w.  It came with a wireless mouse and keyboard which currently do not work.  We are trying to resolve the issue soon as it has a 30 day refund on it from whever it was purchased from.  Without a problem resolution we'll have to send the unit back so they can get the refund.

I have double checked all batteries to make sure they are fresh and working as well as ensure they are installed correctly.  Neither the keyboard or mouse have a connect button on them.  The only thing I see on either item is an on/off switch on the bottom of the mouse.  This switch is of course on.

Other than the devices not working, I am not seeing much which can help.  I will say when the unit is first powered on, during the post process a keyboard error of some sort comes up on the screen.  The system doesn't pause during this though; it continues to finish the post process and the OS boots up. 

Thankfully, the touch screen on this works fine so we can use the unit with it if so desired.  The user wants to use the mouse and keyboard.

I have looked on HP's website but I am unable to find anything useful to help resolve this.  As part of my search, I did look at this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006821 .  This document proved unhelpful in resolving the issue.

The frustrating part of this is the lack of documenation for the specific model of Pavilion.  One thing which bugs me is I cannot tell where the receiver the mouse and keyboard work with is located at (I don't think either of these are bluetooth based). 

Typically with such wireless devices, it is my experience they come with a USB receiver.  The user is expected to plug this receiver into a USB port.  I cannot find such a receiver anywhere with the unit and its packaging.  Reviewing HPs website, it appears some Pavilions have this receiver built into them.  I cannot tell from HP's website or the included documenation with the Pavilion if the receiver is a seperate, physical USB based item or if the receiver is built into the unit somewhere.

Can someone tell me how to determine if the receiver is built into the unit or if it is seperate?  Or, perhaps someone here knows?

Beyond the above question, any idea how to resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @SCADAGuy,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@SCADAGuy,

Thanks for stopping by HP Support Forums.

I came across your post and would like to help.

Wireless keyboard and mouse kit not working. Is that, correct?

As you rightly said, the USB receiver is what connects the keyboard and mouse to the PC.

If you are unable to find it from the box in which the keyboard and mouse, then you will need to contact HP Phone support for the replacement.

I request you to use the link below to contact Phone support.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Hope the solution answers your query. Feel free to reply back for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. 

Last night I got a short, vague text message from my friend.  They called Amazon (where this was purchased from...) and talked to their tech support.  Apparently, the USB receiver was inside the mouse.  Typically I look at the mouse to find the receiver.  95+% of the time the receiver is in the mouse based on my experience.  I didn't find it but apparently it was there somehow and I just missed it.

My understanding after inserting the receiver into a USB port, all is now well.

Thanks again for the response.  It is appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi @SCADAGuy,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.