Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 700-216
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop crashes 1-3 times a day, so I upgraded to Windows 10, hoping the problem would go away. It still crashes 1-3 times a day, giving me a Stop Code: IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and it mentions netr28x.sys or .inf or possibly .exe. I found advice on an HP Forum (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Wireless-and-Networking/blue-screen-netr28x-sys/td-p/7489240) saying that [that person's] Ralink wifi adapter is not compatible with Windows 10, and it recommended "the only driver for that wifi card that is compatible with Windows 10": version 5.0.57.0.

When I checked mine, I found that my wifi card is the RT3290, and that same driver is supposed to be compatible with mine. However, when I uninstall the old driver and device and reinstall, it always shows that I have version 5.0.57.1, and the BSOD keeps appearing at the same rate. There are two wires coming out of the wifi card, and they weave through the case and out through the top, to just under the top layer of the lid; I assume they are two antennas.

Can you recommend a driver that will work for me with Windows 10 Home? If not, can you recommend a good wifi card I can get to replace the RT3290 and end these relentless crashes? I would prefer an internal card where I could use the two antennae.

Thank you!

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71571.exe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

If the Intel 7260 N card works, then this would be the Intel 7260 AC card and part number you want...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

By the way, I located a card for under $20 that I think will replace it nicely; it is an Intel 7260 HMW BN. Please let me know if you have any additional advice. Thanks very much.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Normally Intel wifi cards don't work in older PC's with AMD processors.  At least that is how it is for the notebook PC's.

I have two alternative cards that should work for you...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 730668-001

The AC card has a maximum throughput of 867 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router and the dual band N card has a maximum throughput of 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

The N card is cheaper than the AC card, and you should be able to find either model card on eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Uninstall the Ralink wifi and bluetooth adapters and drivers in the device manager.

If there is a Ralink bluetooth software program listed in the Windows control panel>programs, uninstall that too.

Shut down, unplug the PC and install the replacement card.

HP Recommended

Paul, thanks very much for the clear and detailed information! I had already ordered the other card I mentioned to you, and so I may wait to try it before ordering one of those you recommended below. I will let you know how it turns out. Thank you so much!

I was going to accept your answer, as I am sure it is dependable, but I thought it might be best to keep it open until I can report back on a working card. Let me know if it would be better for me to handle this a different way. 

All the answers I have seen from you in the HP Community have been thorough, clear, and brief as possible for all the information being provided. Wonderful job!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully the dual band Intel card will work.

It will be an interesting experiment, but too bad you didn't experiment with the Intel 7260 AC card.

The 7260 card you ordered would be equivalent to the dual band N Broadcom card I listed.

The bottom line is, if the Intel card works, it will be a whole lot better than the Ralink one.

HP Recommended

Great information, Paul! I understand what you mean, and am wishing I had gone with an AC card, too. I hadn't paid attention to AC capabilities until I saw your reply. I hadn't noticed anything with our Eero devices, indicating if they are AC-capable. I realize that AC devices are backwards compatible, but should I check our WiFi system (to see if it can handle AC) before considering getting a better card for my computer?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hey Paul, sorry to have wasted your time with the question in my previous reply; I had a moment to check and found that our Eero Pro system handles AC as well. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

If the Intel 7260 N card works, then this would be the Intel 7260 AC card and part number you want...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, the card I ordered was listed as follows:

Intel 7260.HMW Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Network Adapter PCI Express Half Mini Card 802.11 b/a/g/n/ac

Could you tell me how to confirm that it has AC capabilities (and it is not just a mistake or false advertisement) when it arrives in the next day or two?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi:

If you ordered what you just posted...Intel 7260.HMW Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Network Adapter PCI Express Half Mini Card 802.11 b/a/g/n/ac, that is a dual band AC card.

But your first reply indicated that you ordered the Intel 7260 HMW BN

That card is the dual band N version as noted in the BN description,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.