Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello,

I purchased a new HP Notebook laptop with Windows 8.1 Installed on it. I purchased a new Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft and installed it. Everything worked fine except the WiFi. The WiFi has a red Cross on it. I went to Device Manager and uninstalled the driver then restarted the computer and Updated the driver again. Nothing changed. I went to the Device Manager again and clicked on its power management and uncheck the box, went to Power Options and made turned it into maximum performance still nothing changed. I flashed the BIOS and then removed the battery and everything connected to it and pressed the power button for about a minute and then restarted the computer still no change. I went to HP support site and downloaded the exact driver and installed it then rebooted it and still nothing changed. I tried through CMD with a command then rebooted, still nothing changed.

Can anyone help me please.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @mfahwai,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having the issue, don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help to diagnose the issue,

Before proceeding with these steps, create a Restore Point.

- Open Control Panel, change the view to Small Icons, then select "Recovery".
- After creating a Restore Point, open Device Manager.
- Open the "Network Adapter" list, and find the WiFi adapter.
- Right Click the driver, and select "Disable“ and “Re-Enable”
- Check if Wifi connects. If not, continue with the steps below.
- Open CMD as Admin:  Copy the following commands, and press enters after each one.

-

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

netsh int tcp show global  (Check if All settings have taken effect)

Reboot the system and see if it works.

STEP# 6 of Wireless Troubleshooting: Screenshots of how the commands should show and be entered.

Please follow the steps from this link.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi@mfahwai,

Thanks for stopping by HP Support Forums.

I came across your post and would like to help.

Need assistance in fixing the Wi-Fi Connection issues on the PC. Is that, correct?

I request you to provide the model number of the PC in order to find a suitable solution and check if that helps you fix the issue.

Also, in the meantime, you may try the guided troubleshooter from HP online to check if that could be of some help.

http://hp.care/2dO0fu4

Hope the solution answers your query. Feel free to reply back for more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, i tried HP troubleshooter and nothing changed. Computer model is M4X87PA#ACJ. I tried every single method like!
1. Uninstalled the network driver then rebooted the computer and then updated the driver, nothing changed.
2. I clicked on Devince Manager and so on to the power management and unchecked the box, then went to the battery power options and changed WiFi's performance to "Maximum Performance" then rebooted the computer, nothing changed.
3. I got lots of CMD commands from friends and other computer savvies and tried them, nothing changed.
4. I reinstalled the Windows 10 Pro and thought it will work, still red cross on it.
5. I flashed the BIOS and thought it will work, stilld no change and WiFi has a red cross.

NOTE
I am sure that there is no hardware issue because the computer is brand new and before installing Windows 10 Pr0, the WiFi was working super fine.

Your prompt response will be much appreciated. I am a student and need it very much.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @mfahwai,

Thank you for replying,

I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having the issue, don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help to diagnose the issue,

Before proceeding with these steps, create a Restore Point.

- Open Control Panel, change the view to Small Icons, then select "Recovery".
- After creating a Restore Point, open Device Manager.
- Open the "Network Adapter" list, and find the WiFi adapter.
- Right Click the driver, and select "Disable“ and “Re-Enable”
- Check if Wifi connects. If not, continue with the steps below.
- Open CMD as Admin:  Copy the following commands, and press enters after each one.

-

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

netsh int tcp show global  (Check if All settings have taken effect)

Reboot the system and see if it works.

STEP# 6 of Wireless Troubleshooting: Screenshots of how the commands should show and be entered.

Please follow the steps from this link.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you Mr. Jeet Singh!

I tried this method and then rebooted the computer, nothing changed. I don't think it will get fixed. I need to install Windows 8.1 back. Windows 10 isn't good. It wasted my time and money. This problem has no solution. I posted this question in Microsoft Community Forums and no one gave me a solution.
HP Recommended

Hi @ mfahwai,

Thank you for replying,

I would have suggested the next best step would be to revert back to Windows 8.1 using the recovery media. 

If you haven't created a set of recovery media, you could either order it online or you could order them by calling our HP phone support. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number. 

Link to order the recovery media online: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR A LONG TIME NOW TRIED ALL TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS THEN I WAS TOLD BY SOMEONE CHANGE YOUR WIFI/NETWORK CARD.

THIS WORKED FOR ME AND COST ME £20 AT A LOCAL REPAIR SHOP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.