Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 750-197c
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hello! I received my new desktop (an ENVY 750-197c) probably about two weeks ago. Ever since, I've not been able to connect to wifi. The desktop came with Win 10 which I really did not want yet, so I downgraded to Win 8. After not being able to connect to wifi, I went back to Win 10. I still couldn't connect. The process of trying to connect seemed worse on Win 10, as I was not ever able to connect at any time, unlike Win 8 where I could maybe connect at a super random moment briefly for about a minute :indifferent: I did my research and checked high and low for solutions to the problem. The troubleshooters would often come up with nothing at all, or some problem like:

• "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer" (Only on Win 10)
  • "default gateway is not available" (On both Win 10 & Win 😎

After trying everything including the netsh commands and updating the drivers, I was still not able to connect so I purchased an external USB network adapter (Belkin N300) to test things out in case there was a problem with my computer's built in adapter (Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165). I also had to move back to Win 8 since the new adapter is not compatible with Win 10. I did notice a difference after installing the USB adapter--the wifi will actualy "connect" now and show 5 bars of signal strength. However, the connection is still not usable. I will every few minutes or so get a yellow triangle on the network icon and after troubleshooting I will either get no results or one of:

• "default gateway is not available" (Which Windows will fix in the troubleshooter, but still doesn't give internet)
  • "windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)"
  • "your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding"

Other times there isn't a yellow triangle but again, still not usable. I have a feeling at this point, there's something wrong somewhere with maybe the settings of the computer? My actual internet connect and router is working fine. My other devices connect just fine, including my laptop in the same room as this desktop. I've tried resetting my router but it doesn't fix the problem. I've checked that the adapter is set to obtain the IP address and DNS server automatically, which it is. I also tried the netsh commands

Spoiler
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /all
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset

again and still nothing. I really need help to resolve this issue and would appreciate any help! :TongueOut:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @KianaLofton,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that after downgrading your system to Windows 8, you have had problems with the WiFi connection, and probably the drivers.  I am happy to help with this.

Looking at your previous posts, i have the impression that the Wifi was working before the OS downgrade.  Did you by any chance make a set of Factory recovery disks for your system prior to switching to Windows 8?  If not then you may want to obtain a set to baseline the system back to the factory installation, and see if that works again, so we can know that the issue is all about software and drivers, and there is not an underlying hardware issue.  HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi there @KianaLofton,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that after downgrading your system to Windows 8, you have had problems with the WiFi connection, and probably the drivers.  I am happy to help with this.

Looking at your previous posts, i have the impression that the Wifi was working before the OS downgrade.  Did you by any chance make a set of Factory recovery disks for your system prior to switching to Windows 8?  If not then you may want to obtain a set to baseline the system back to the factory installation, and see if that works again, so we can know that the issue is all about software and drivers, and there is not an underlying hardware issue.  HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Thank you for your tips! I just now moved my computer into the living room where the router/modem is and this seemed to fix the issue. I just need to get a wifi extender to reach the other room. I'm guessing this desktop needs a stronger connection unlike my laptop. 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.