Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT Win8.1 Pro 64 bit

After sending to sleep mode does not wake to keyboard or mouse clicks.

Pressing Power Key performes a clean boot as from shutdown.

Computer came with Windows 7 Pro. I installed Windows 8 from the disks supplied with the computer, and upgraded it online to Windows 8.1. Everything seem to work fine, but sleep/hibertation modes.

Pressing sleep button on a keyboard or on screen seemingly sends computer to sleep: screen is black, mouse and keyboard LEDs off, white LED on Power button blinks once every two seconds.

However computer does not wake up on pressing a keyboard key, and pressing a power button turns a computer on, but performs boot up as if it were turned off completely. 

Already double-checked for the latest BIOS, and that power management enabled for both keyboard and mouse.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Jaco,

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried to experiment with the power management settings for the keyboard and mouse, and just made sure both are enabled to wake up the computer from sleep. I started suspecting that it may be USB controller that does not allow keyboard to wake sleeping computer up, and I experimented with a PS/2 keyboard with no result. 

Then I re-read in BIOS settings help that the sleep mode should be indicated by triple LED flash, and I was getting only single LED flashes, and I started to look in every option in Advanced settings of the Power plan and guess what I found? 

THE SOLUTION

When I turned the Sleep>Allow hybrid sleep setting to Off, sleep mode started to work:

Pressing Sleep button sends computer to Sleep mode, white LED cycles through triple flash and two-second pause, and pressing a keyboard key wakes the computer up. 

Apparently my hardware configuration somehow conflicts with Win8 Hybrid sleep mode. SSD?

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT Core i7-4770 8GB DDR3(2x4GB) 256GB SDD,

DVD+/-RW, keyboard, mouse, GigLAN, 

Win8.1 Pro 64 

Thanks everyone for leading me to this solution!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi Avenir,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I see that you are having issues with the sleep mode in 8.1. You are not alone on this issue and I have found a couple of different forums that have different solutions. The first link will have you uninstall your Virtual Box and the second states that if you are connected to a personal home network or workgroup it won't wake up. Rockhound was the solution for the workgroup issue.

http://gurustop.net/blog/2013/09/11/windows-8-1-sleep-stand-by-hang-freeze-unable-to-wake-up-virtual...

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28226-windows-8-1-refuses-sleep-6.html

Try those and let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi BHK6,

Thank you for your suggestions! I tried to search over the internet for similar problems as well.
The links you provided do not seem to work for me. Because first link is about Win8.1 compatibility with Oracle VM VirtualBox Application, which I did not install (unless it's a part of the Win8 installation, I do not know) Solution to the problem suggests that first thing I uninstall the Virtual box, but don't understand how, because I do not see it installed.

Second link is about widely known issue that in many cases network activity can prevent Windows from sleeping, or even wake it up seemingly without any reason. As far as I understand, this is not my case, because my system agrees to sleep, but does not wake up prorerly.

I did not find any info about what state my computer goes into: sleeping computer should blink the white LED under power button. (repeated cycles of 3 blinks followed by a 2 sec pause means stand by, 4 blinks and a pause means hybernation) In my case it's one blink per 2 sec - I can't find what it means, and I suspect that the computer does not go to the sleep mode properly.

It may be anything, but at the moment I do not have much time for experiments with OS/BIOS configurations. Obviously this does not prevent me from using the computer, so It's okay. Maybe if someone has this working on a similar mashine, he could share configuration?

Thanks,
- Avenir

HP Recommended

Hi Avenir,

I had the same problem with Win 7 Pro.

Changed USB Power management settings in Device Manager and it was solved. USB devices (mouse- keyboard) would fail to wake when in sleep mode.

Jaco

Please give a" Kudos" if my advice is relevant or" Accept as a Solution" if your problem has been solved.

****I am not an HP employee****

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
H8 1380t CTO, Intel i7 3820
16 GB DDR3
Pegatron Motherboard- IPIWB-PB (Pittsburgh), Radeon HD 7570 1GB. Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro.

Envy Phoenix 810-150se, Intel i7 4820k
12 GB DDR3
Pittsburgh2 Mainboard, NVIDIA GTX 645- 2GB GDDR5. Win 8.1 Pro.

HP 560z CTO AMD processor and chipset,
16 GB DDR3.
Radeon HD 6570
Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Win 7 Pro.

HP ENVY 17t-j000 CTO Quad Edition Notebook. Win 8.0 Pro

HP Recommended

Hi Jaco,

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried to experiment with the power management settings for the keyboard and mouse, and just made sure both are enabled to wake up the computer from sleep. I started suspecting that it may be USB controller that does not allow keyboard to wake sleeping computer up, and I experimented with a PS/2 keyboard with no result. 

Then I re-read in BIOS settings help that the sleep mode should be indicated by triple LED flash, and I was getting only single LED flashes, and I started to look in every option in Advanced settings of the Power plan and guess what I found? 

THE SOLUTION

When I turned the Sleep>Allow hybrid sleep setting to Off, sleep mode started to work:

Pressing Sleep button sends computer to Sleep mode, white LED cycles through triple flash and two-second pause, and pressing a keyboard key wakes the computer up. 

Apparently my hardware configuration somehow conflicts with Win8 Hybrid sleep mode. SSD?

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT Core i7-4770 8GB DDR3(2x4GB) 256GB SDD,

DVD+/-RW, keyboard, mouse, GigLAN, 

Win8.1 Pro 64 

Thanks everyone for leading me to this solution!

HP Recommended

Hi Avenir,

Good to see you have solved the problem.

Jaco

Please give a" Kudos" if my advice is relevant or" Accept as Solution" if your problem has been solved.

****I am not an HP employee****

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
H8 1380t CTO, Intel i7 3820
16 GB DDR3
Pegatron Motherboard- IPIWB-PB (Pittsburgh), Radeon HD 7570 1GB. Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro.

Envy Phoenix 810-150se, Intel i7 4820k
12 GB DDR3
Pittsburgh2 Mainboard, NVIDIA GTX 645- 2GB GDDR5. Win 8.1 Pro.

HP 560z CTO AMD processor and chipset,
16 GB DDR3.
Radeon HD 6570
Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Win 7 Pro.

HP ENVY 17t-j000 CTO Quad Edition Notebook. Win 8.0 Pro

HP Recommended

Turning off hybrid sleep seems to have solved my problem.  Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.