Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
23" all in one
Windows 8.1

Screen suddenly randomly has black rectangles and squares covering screen. Can't find the sign out button because there is a black square, can't click to go to next page, can't use Google as the question box has a black screen. Windows 8.1. Help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Wasn't comfortable doing the reset, so downloaded Chrome, black squares went away (so far). Can assume it is Internet Explorer. Have other issues with IE.

Thank you for your help

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @granma211,

I understand that you are getting black squares on your screen. As you state that this just started recently I would like you to review the HP Support document: Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎, and follow the instructions within to restore your computer back to a point in time prior to the issue. I believe this is an update that was not successfully installed and the steps within this document will help you fix it.

I hope this helps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Wasn't comfortable doing the reset, so downloaded Chrome, black squares went away (so far). Can assume it is Internet Explorer. Have other issues with IE.

Thank you for your help

HP Recommended

i did this reset and it says restore failed. help me please

HP Recommended

I have the same problem -- black rectabgles. They go away with scrolling a page.

My question to you: what you are recomending here -- did it help to somebody with this problem? How many people did it help?

Thank you.

HP Recommended
I'm having the same problem and i think it's from the update i just did...
HP Recommended

I last updated a month ago and these squares just today started happening. Since this poster originally was in 2013, I feel like there should be another verbal update on these black squares. Is it still an update that didn't quite happen right? What should we do if that is the case? What should we do if our laptops won't go through another update because of this error? 

Having at least two people with black squares in 2018 sounds more like a lack of a coding problem in an update rather than a computer updating properly. But as long as I can properly keep my computer without it dying so that I can continue to work on it efficiently, I won't utter a whole lot more than that. 

HP Recommended

I've been having this problem on and off for a few days now and its very irritating to have those black squares popping up, please help me with this annoying issue!!!!!

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with black squares randomly popping up just  in the last couple of days.  I haven't done an upgrade recently.

HP Recommended

I have recently been getting black squares/rectangles in varying sizes jumping all over my screen.  Thought it was my mouse or keyboard, maybe my screen going out, or heaven forbid my computer.  I don't know what to do.  Very irritating.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.