Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

:smileyhappy:THANK YOU!!!! :generic:

I'll make this as short and sweet as possible. The advice given about opening the command prompt window is EXCELLENT!!~~follow those instructions to the letter, and you'll boot up and be using your computer in no time! I found this post after having called HP customer support. The (very hard to understand) woman told me that my motherboard (HP Pavilion~~OS:Vista) was completely crashed and couldn't be fixed. She said the ONLY reason that I would be getting the code purple error was a failed motherboard. She proceeded to try not once...not twice...but four times to sell me new computers instead of helping me fix the one I already have!!!!! Dont believe it!!~~This post saved me a ton of money and was the perfect cure for my increasingly large headache! Thank you so much!!! HP....YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED THAT WE HAVE TO GO TO GOOGLE TO GET THE ANSWERS YOUR TECH CREW SHOULD GIVE US WHEN WE CALL!!

HP Recommended

I can't believe that was so easy to fix!!!! 😄

I did exactly this, and it solved it! 😄

THank you so much PurpleKiller!!!!

That;s what PurpleKiller said:

Code Purple is a problem exclusive to HP's, the easiest solution is to avoid them. However, it's already too late for you as it was for me. Basically it's an attempt to force you to pay them to service or upgrade your PC, or if you didn't learn the first time, buy another. Here is the most concise answer I found, tried to translate into plain english.

***PLAIN ENGLISH QUICK AND EASY FIX FOR ALL SYSTEMS****
***Windows 7 code purple or Windows Vista code purple***

With the code purple error on the screen, press shift+f10 (the shift key and the F10 key (at the top of the keyboard) at the same time) to open a little screen called a command prompt. (So, you get a little black screen with white text that says something about your Windows verison first and a little ways down you'll see "C:\>".   It's all ready for you to start typing.)
Type the following line, just as you see it here...

notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd

so it will look like this

C:\>notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd

Press Enter.

You will see the text for the file listed in a window using a simple text editor.
Go to the beginning of the text. Press enter to make a space. Type this...

goto cleanup

So, whatever comes after, the first line looks like this...

goto cleanup

Save the file and exit notepad and restart your PC. You are good to go.

HP Recommended

What a time saver.... Great tip.  41 years computer experieance.  started with SDS.

no brag, just need help sometimes. Again, thank you...............

HP Recommended

wonderful answer purple kid honor student you get and A+ and extra credit and accelerated advancement

HP Recommended

Great. i made this change and its work!!!!!!!!!!! THX a lot

HP Recommended
U GUYSZ. GOT TO BE KIDDING ME GIVE THIS MAN THE RESPECT HE DESERVES HE SAVED ALL U GUYS A THOUSAND DOLLAR JOBS THAT I NO U DON'T HAVE JUST LIKE I DON'T I AM THANK FULL THE INFORMATION HE SPREAD TO NOT ONLY ME THE WORLD. GOD BLESS U MAN EMAIL ME I'M OFF THIS
HP Recommended
Thanks PurpleKiller, this worked without a hassle. I'm not quite tech savvy enough to piggy back my hd into another computer, but this fix was simple and easy. System restarted without a hang up at all.

Bad HP for doing this to consumers. They wanted $250 to fix this issue. I told them...more politely than I am here...to get bent. That's a total scam for this easy of a fix.
HP Recommended

PurpleKiller,

Your solution was a life saver. I have a Pavilion s3407c slimline and for some reason the shift+f10 would not get me to a dos prompt. What I ended up doing was to remove the HDD and put it in my "BLACX" HDD Dock" on another computer. The other computer assigned it a new volume letter (E: in my case). I then used brought up a DOS window and at the C:> prompt, I entered: "E:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd" and followed the rest of your instructions and returned the drive to the Pavilion s3407c and it was just like new. It continued on with the reinstallation of Vista. Can't thank you enough!

Mike

HP Recommended

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Purple Killer. Its things like this that make my day! Problem solved.

HP Recommended

I have tried this fix, but when I press shift and F10, there isnt any response. Ive used recovery discs, pc recovery, you name it...still ends up with code purple.

The only change to my system is a wireless keyboard

a1630n  is the model

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.