Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

Just got a ProDesk 600 with Windows 7 pro, and installed the drive encryption.

What the install-promt diden't tell, was the pre-boot drive encryption, and im now stuck with it.

The computer is a shared unit, with several user logins.

How do I disable the pre-boot encryption ? 

What I already tried:
Restore windows

CMOS reset
Disable various things in BIOS
Searched google for several hours

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I solved the problem!

You have to let it encrypt your drive (took 2 days) and then let it decrypt it afterwards (also 2 days)

Afterwards there is no drive encryption at boot! 

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Been through that one also - Diden't help.

I also disabled the drive encryption in the HP security thing in Windows.

I don't think this can be disabled in BIOS.

HP Recommended

Hi! Sorry I don't have any more suggestions. Maybe others will reply latter.:smileywink:

Dokie!!

HP Recommended

Thanks anyway 🙂

The pre-boot is a WinMagic thing (a part of the HP security software pack)

The login screen, appears between BIOS and Windows load.

Im sure it would help to make a full recover, but im not able to do that without paying for our technichian to setup the server access etc. again. (outside company)

HP Recommended

I solved the problem!

You have to let it encrypt your drive (took 2 days) and then let it decrypt it afterwards (also 2 days)

Afterwards there is no drive encryption at boot! 

HP Recommended

Hi Thank you for your feed back! I'm sure it will help others having that issue:smileywink:

Dokie!!

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

There is actually another method, which I ran into accidentally on my 840 G1.

In the initial instalation process you will register your fingerprints, set a Windows password and set a password for accessing the HDD. It will not encrypt the HDD in that point. If you want to ge rid of the initial boot password for the HDD you'll need to do the following:

- Start HP Client Security Manager

- Go to Drive Encryption

- Check the checkbox in front of your drive. The button in the bottom will change from Backup Key to Apply.

- Do not press Apply. If you do, it will start encrypting your HDD (TCDK's solution)

- Instead go to Settings (the small gear in the right upper corner)

- Now press the back button ( <- ), which will return you to the Drive Encryption screen

- In this screen you'll see the checkbox in front of your HDD is unchecked, but the button still says Apply

- Press Apply and restart

Kind of a hack, but it's the easiest way.

Best regards,

HP Recommended

I have my drive encrypted with HP drive encyption and I know my password to get access, but OS is corrupted, I need to repair the BCD boot, but after try to repair it with DVD W7, I can't found my w7 installation, I'm supposing that it is because the drive is encrypted, some one know how resolve this?

HP Recommended

I am in the same boat; encrypted drive will no longer boot, cannot use tools to manipulate the BCD.  Did you ever get an answer to this?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.