Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 34c monitor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have purchased an Envy 34c minitor - and it is a great monitor!

I have connected it to my HP Envy laptop via an HDMI cable - the only output available on the notebook.

I am running the monitor at native resolution of 3440x1440.

But I am only getting 30 Hz screen refresh rate.

My qustion, should I worry that the refresh is so low?

Then I looked at page 29 of the HP manual and what it says is quite remarkable.

I paraphrase -

"At native resolution with HDMI the refresh rate is indeed limited to 30 hertz -BUT THE MONITOR WILL CONVERT UP TO 60Hz REFRESH"

I spoke to HP and they said this was correct but could offer no method by which i could validate it. Most refresh rate checkers simply check the output from the computer - I think!

My questionis to ask  whether this conversion is possible and if so how can i confirm it has happened?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@MonitorMan,

Thanks for stopping by HP Support Forums.

I came across your post and would like to help.

Monitor refresh rate locked at 30Hz. Is that, correct?

It’s a hardware lock, however, you have options to increase the refresh rate using the monitor/display drivers.

It also depends on the type of connection made between the PC to Monitor.

Try updating the video driver of the PC once and check if that solves the issue.

Hope the solution answers your query. Feel free to reply back for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
I am using an Hdmi lead, as I said.
I am using the drivers provided by HP.
I accept that at full native resolution this will only allow 30hz. I also know, because I have tried it with another pc, that I can get 60hz with a displayport link. But my HP notebook only has an hdmi output so displayport is not an option.

My questions were:
1. Do I need to worry about only getting 30hz?
2. Is it possible for the monitor to upconvert this to 60hz as assured in the HP Envy 34c manual (and if it can how can I confirm this is happening)
HP Recommended

Hi@MonitorMan

Thank you for the update.

MonitorMan you already know the answer, for resolution of 3440x1440 you get  30hz as the refresh rate and you don't have to worry about this.

However, if want to want to increase the refresh rate decrease the resolution.

Have a nice day and happy new year 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.