Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My PC info is:

Manufacture: Hewlett-Packard

Model: HP EliteBook 8460p

Rating: 5.3 Windows Experience Index

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz      2.50GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (2.98 GB usable)

System type: 32-bit Operating System

Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

Windows 7 Professional

Product ID: 00371-OEM-8992671-00008

Problem: I was watching a movie a night before, and I muted and forgot to turn off my laptop, today I found out the sound did not work, so I tried restarting and still no hope, i tried disabling and enabling the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC and still no hope, windows says that this device is working properly, but oviously its not I really need help, I dont know anything advanced about technology yet, so im helpless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59291.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load - it will automatically load an audio driver, but just let this complete.  Then open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended
I also tried leaving the Laptop to cooldown for about 3 hours and still no sound.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59291.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Start the notebook and let Windows fully load - it will automatically load an audio driver, but just let this complete.  Then open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
After I help the power button for 30 seconds then re-plug the AC adapter and the battery, it seams the sound automatically came back, and the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC reinstalled itself, but never less thank you so much.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Brilliant answer! Thanks a lot!

Previously I've tried nearly 10 other suggestions, but they simply don't work (including different types of troubleshooting, device fixing, etc). 

Your solution saved me both nerves and money! Great! Thanks again!

HP Recommended
This is very much helpful Thank you so much, save me lots of time!
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am having problems with my sound after my laptop (hp pavilion) automaticall installed the IDT audio codec. I tries uninstalling it i the device manager but the symbol just disappeared and the problem remained (no sound and my spotify and youtube doesnt work). I then went into safe mode and rolled back to a time before the update. All was well until it obviously needed to update again and now the IDT is back. Help! I dont know how to stop IDT installing everytime.

Amy

HP Recommended
Oops I thought it was repaired after I followed your instructions, the sound came back when I first turn on. But not this second time when I turn it on again. So I do the same to install it from the downloads, but the message pop up and says" The hardware detected is not supported by this IDT software package. The install will be aborted.". Actually the same message appeared in my first switch on also, but there was sound, so I don't bother, but this time there is No Sound at all. Please advice what to do? Thanks!
HP Recommended
The IDT appears in the Device Manager but not in Sound Playback, there is only NVIDIA in the Sound Playback.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.