Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a new HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1126 running 64 Bit Windows 7 Home Premium.  My video adapter is an AMD Radeon HD 6410D and my monitor is an Acer S201HL.

When I connect the monitor to the computer with the DVI cable, I get no signal and the monitor stays in sleep mode.  Using the VGA cable, the monitor works fine.  With the monitor and DVI cable connected to another computer, the video display works.

My question is:  Do I need to change a setting in BIOS or Windows to enable the DVI port or is it likely defective?  I'm hoping the problem can be solved without returning the computer to the store.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hanspuppa,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did reinstall the driver but now I get DVI video at 640x480 resolution only.  The monitor supports 1600x900.  I contacted HP support and they say it is a known issue with the DVI output on my model computer and to send it in for service.  I'm exchanging it at the store instead.

Best wishes,

Tom

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Tom65, You might try checking the input of the monitor and be sure it is set to the DVI port.

Here  is the link for the specifications for your monitor.

Here  is the link for the drivers for your monitor.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hanspuppa,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did reinstall the driver but now I get DVI video at 640x480 resolution only.  The monitor supports 1600x900.  I contacted HP support and they say it is a known issue with the DVI output on my model computer and to send it in for service.  I'm exchanging it at the store instead.

Best wishes,

Tom

HP Recommended

Tom65 wrote: Hanspuppa, Thanks for the suggestion.  I did reinstall the driver but now I get DVI video at 640x480 resolution only.  The monitor supports 1600x900.  I contacted HP support and they say it is a known issue with the DVI output on my model computer and to send it in for service.  I'm exchanging it at the store instead. Best wishes, Tom

Hello Tom65, I am really surprised that you are limited to the 640x480 resolution, even on a defective monitor. Windows 7 normally want alllow any resolution lower than 800x600.

Nevertheless, I'm very happy to hear you managed to determine the issue and can resolve it without costing you.

Thanks for the update.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

No DVI signal

HP Recommended

I also have an HP slimline s5 1126, and just got an acer s201HL. Running windows 7 64 bit. I am trying to use this as a second monitor, so I need to hook it up using the DVI. The only option it gives me for resolution is 640 x 480. I'm wondering if my dvi has the same defect...

HP Recommended

If you have the same model of computer, it is highly possible. I would recommend updating the graphics card for you computer from http://support.hp.com/

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.