Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-307nb
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi everyone,

I've just bought an HP Pavilion Desktop, with a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11 b/g/n wi-fi adapter.

The adapter is struggling to pick up the wi-fi signal in my house. In general there is a v weak signal, meaning v slow web browsing, downloads etc. Sometimes it is dropped altogether.

The computer is in a different room from the router, with a short corridor in between them. But my laptop can pick up the signal without difficulty. in fact I'm getting around the problem by using the laptop as a wi-fi hotspot for the desktop. Obviously I'd prefer a proper solution.

Any suggestions for improving the adapter's sensitivity? I've moved the router as far as I can, and changed its channel, but neither makes much difference.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @tom_nuttall,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your desktop computer's Qualcomm wi-fi adapter is struggling to get a proper connection signal, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To re-establish a consistent connection between your desktop and the network, I recommend following this document on Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎. This should help run a diagnostic on your system using the Network and Internet Troubleshooter, as well as steps to keep your system on the wireless network.

Additionally, I also suggest following the steps below to ensure your power management settings are not interfering with your network connection:

1. Open DEVICE MANAGER
2. Open up NETWORK ADAPTERS
3. Right click on the WiFi Adapter for the pc and left click on PROPERTIES
4. Click on POWER MANAGEMENT at the top.
5. Remove the check mark beside : ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER
6. Click OK
7. Close DEVICE MANAGER and test.

NOTE: It may also be checked under the FAMILY CONTROLLER (eg. Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller which would be listed under the WiFi Card). If so, you could remove the check mark beside ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER.

If the issue persists, I recommend following the steps below, starting with a flush of the DNS:

Step 1. Click the Start button
Step 2. In the search box, type "Command Prompt"
Step 3. Right-click Command Prompt

Step 4. Click Run as administrator
Step 5. At the command prompt, type "ipconfig /release" and press Enter

Step 6. Type in the command "ipconfig /flushdns"

Was this successful? If not, I would like you to  reset the TCP/IP stack. To do this follow the next set of steps I have set out below:

Step 2. In the search box, type "Command Prompt"
Step 3. Right-click Command Prompt

Step 4. Click Run as administrator
Step 5. Type "netsh winsock reset catalog" and hit Enter
Step 6. Type "netsh int ip reset reset.log" and hit Enter
Step 7. Restart your computer

Next, if none of the above works I would like you to try to Install Windows updates in Windows 8. I would recommend you ensure all updates are done.

Next I would like you to try the next set of steps I have set out for you below:

Step 2. In the search box, type "Windows Explorer"

Step 3. Click on Windows Explorer

Step 4. In the Address bar at the top try to stream a video or download Google Chrome

If you are still not able to connect to your network, you will need to remove and re-install the WiFi adapter drivers on your notebook. To do this, I recommend removing the drivers in Programs and Features and the Device Manager. Once the old software is removed, please restart your computer. The drivers for your wireless network adapter can be downloaded an installed by following this document on Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers.  

Next, if nothing has worked we are going to try using Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎 to restore your computer back to a point in time before this issue arose. This will not affect any personal files you have on your computer, but it will affect any settings you have changed or applications you have installed since the time you go back to. These will have to be re-done once we are finished.

Lastly, If we still have the issue we are at the point where we need to use the HP Support document: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎 to back up your personal files. Once we have done this successfully I would like you to review and follow the steps set out in the HP Support document: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎, which will walk you through restoring your computer back to factory.

***NOTE: This will destroy everything on your computer so make sure you have backed up everything you wish to keep.

As this will completely replace ALL your software on your computer this should resolve your issue. 

referencehttp://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/Laptop-disconnests-from-internet-unable-to-...

If the issue persists, please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps!

Regards :smileyhappy:

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy bought 2014, I never noticed I had the same problem until I switched internet providers, all else in my house was extremely excited with the speed and running multiple devices at same time EXCEPT me, I could not even connect to internet, noticed I had weak signal and even connected back to old service that was still active and same weak signal but it would connect so I never noticed prior. I searched it and I had same problem as others with HP products, I literally just took mine apart and fixed it myself because HP support said my internet provider needed to come change settings on my computer that was part of their service LOL. You have a wire loose or disconnected on ur network card ABSOLUTELY is the problem and it come that way from HP and they are doing nothing about it. Hope you have better luck with this thru HP than I did.

HP Recommended

You are absolutely wrong!!!! I had same problem, search it and see how many others are having problem with HP products, one of the wires to network card is loose or off, and they are coming from the factory this way. I had mine fixed and one of the wires was off, so much for having great support from HP.  HP support via phone overseas representative said it was my internet providers job to come and change settings on my laptop, even though it is very easy to see there is a problem with the manufacturing of several HP laptops.

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.