Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Just experienced the sam problem after installaing a critical windows update and a graphics dirver update. It took numerous attempts of turning the computer off and then tapping the F11 key to have the system recovery screen boot. System recovery unsuccessful at first then tried system repair and the unit re-booted just fine.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I fixed this issue, I too had the same problem. Here is how I did it.

1) Reboot and press F8
2) Select "Repair my computer"
3) Select the keyboard layout and lanugage
4) When you reach system recovery tools, select System restore.
5) Select the restore point when it was working fine and restart the computer.

That's it....

If you do not have the system restore points, try startup repair.

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
HP Recommended

H ELP; I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING THAT IS IN THIS FORUM.NOTHING WORKS.

I TURNED MY DELL DESKTOP OFF AND NOW THE SCREEN IS BLACK WITH A BLINKING CURSOR.IT STARTS TO BOOT BUT AFTER THAT THE WINDOW XP LOGO NEVER COMES UP.I NEED TO GET IN THIS COMPUTER.I CAN'T GET TO SAFE MODE AND I UNPLUGGED EVERYTHING FROM THE COMPUTER.PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET MY SCREEN BACK. I TRIED ANOTHER MONITOR BUT THE SAME PROBLEM.HELP ASAP

HP Recommended

Hi guys ,I am having the same issue  here Hpe Pavilion just boots up to hp screen but than just blinking cursor It may be something to do with windows boot sector I have disconect the HD and system asks for a boot options ,than I plug in the HD and just  blinking cursur anybidy has a solution for this I have a lot files there that I do not want to lose any comments will apreciate thanks...

HP Recommended

toro3 wrote: Hi guys ,I am having the same issue  here Hpe Pavilion just boots up to hp screen but than just blinking cursor It may be something to do with windows boot sector I have disconect the HD and system asks for a boot options ,than I plug in the HD and just  blinking cursur anybidy has a solution for this I have a lot files there that I do not want to lose any comments will apreciate thanks...

Hello toro3, There could be several reasons for this to occur. Usually, the operating system gets corrupted and Windows cannot load the needed files to get to the desktop.

The Master Boot Record (MBR) can also become corrupted and as TheOldMan suggested, Windows gets confused as to where the operating system is installed.

If you have a Windows Vista or Windows 7 disk, you may be able to boot to this disk and select to repair Startup problems.

If the MBR had become corrupted, and certain other corruption has occured, many times the repair can be successfully accomplished.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi guys thanks for the replay ,I use the windows 7 recovery disc and fixt the boot   sector with Bootrec.exe. problem fix thanks..

HP Recommended

these steps did not work, however, i have just a blinking cursor, by continually pressing F10 i get the BIOS screen it asks if i want to save and exit , i did and back to black i go.  😞

cpu was working this morning just decided it needed a restart after a couple of days of being "ON"

HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion DV6 is doing this with windows 7. It just goes to a blinking cursor at the top left. If i try to go into system repair it just goes to the blinking cursor. I run system diagnostics and every test I run passes with flying colors. I boot from the recovery disc and run system restore. I have ran system restore to several different restore points only to have the computer restart to the black screen with blinking cursor at the top left still.

ALL tests pass, system restore does not help, restore disc does not help. The problem persists.

The computer is not even very old!

HP Recommended

For those posters that have Windows 7 - What is needed is a Repair disk or the original install disk for Windows 7 will do.  This is different from the Recovery disk set.  Since most users in this forum are HP OEM customers, that means one needs to be made on a friends computer or use resources from someone else.

On a working Windows 7 computer, here is the page for you:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html  for others where the system will not start: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

If a retail install disk is available, you can use that by booting to the install disk and picking repair or startup repair instead of installing the OS. See here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Changed video cards NVIDIA GEFORCE 545. Updated video drivers. 285.62 BLACK SCREEN.

Updated driver to 295.73. Same result. 1. MBR repair / replace 3 times. NO  JOY.  2. Defrag 6 timesNO JOY

3. Clean Registry NO JOY. 4. Anti Virus NO JOY . Insert Window 7 disk. Repair 5 times. "Nothing to Repair"

Found a video driver 280.26. Did a clean install. Had to install twice to get it right. This took five days to do.

I now have no errors of any kind. It is the driver not Windows. Not your registry etc.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.