Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm getting the above error message on a one month old HP Pavilion Desktop ( p6813w )  running Win7.

I see there are updates, but when I click on the HP Support Assistant w/ 'Recommended actions needed'...

it tells me HPSF.exe has stopped working and that I need to click 'okay' to automatically restart the application.

I click 'okay' and the window closes and does not restart.

ALSO: it's now saying, "HP Support Assistant can only be run by one user at a time.

Please switch to the user who is currently using HP Support Assistant. Etc"

Whatever in the world can that mean? :Crying: 

Thanks for any up to date solutions or help you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Go to Control Panel, Programs & Features.Select HP Support Assistant and uninstall it. Restart your machine after removing it.

Next download the latest version for your machine from the link:

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/us/en/pclc/articles/hp-support-assistant.html?jumpid=ex_r602_go/hpsupp...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

197 REPLIES 197
HP Recommended

Fungud,

It's part of HP Total Care/HP Advisor. You can re-install:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-78274-1

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hmmm, it's part of TotalCare ... to have 'serious problems'  that force a shut down of the service? And not be able to install updates? On a month old system??  Okay, whatever. I can cope with a little weirdness. No big deal.

But, the link you posted says it's for 'notebook/laptop models', mine is a desktop,

...should I go ahead and click on the download button? 

Hello, anyone home?

Can I just uninstall HP Support Assistance altogether?

HP Recommended

@Fungud wrote:

I'm getting the above error message on a one month old HP Pavilion Desktop ( p6813w )  running Win7.

I see there are updates, but when I click on the HP Support Assistant w/ 'Recommended actions needed'...

it tells me HPSF.exe has stopped working and that I need to click 'okay' to automatically restart the application.

I click 'okay' and the window closes and does not restart.

ALSO: it's now saying, "HP Support Assistant can only be run by one user at a time.

Please switch to the user who is currently using HP Support Assistant. Etc"

Whatever in the world can that mean? :Crying: 

Thanks for any up to date solutions or help you can provide.

HP Recommended

HI i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

HP Recommended

Go to Control Panel, Programs & Features.Select HP Support Assistant and uninstall it. Restart your machine after removing it.

Next download the latest version for your machine from the link:

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/us/en/pclc/articles/hp-support-assistant.html?jumpid=ex_r602_go/hpsupp...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
THANKYOU
HP Recommended

Thank you so much!  Simply reloading it wouldn't work, but when I uninstalled it first and then reloaded it as you said, it took care of the problem.  I was about to junk the computer.  Now, since I got that issue fixed, I was able to do a "tune up" and fix the computer.  THANK YOU  and yes, I clicked the star!

HP Recommended

Re. HPSF.exe has stopped working .This application encountered a serious problem..ty

HP Recommended

i am having the same problem . please  tell me what to do.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.