Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I received my G2 a few days ago and I have not been able to get both controllers to track at the same time. At first the right controller worked, but the left one didn't. Then I tried re-pairing them. This resulted in none of them working. The status was "paired, not connected". I also tried with fresh batteries, but that didn't help. When the right controller was working, its lights were bright, and the lights on the left one were dim. Anyway, I tried manually re-pairing them again. This time I got the left one working, but not the right one. Now the lights on the right controller are dim. And the status is paired, connected, but not tracking. I've run out of ideas and I need help. I can't really use the headset with just one working controller.

Thank you.

Update:

I noticed that the first controller I turn on is the one that is tracked. The second one is never tracked. So it looks like the headset can only track one controller at a time. That can't be right.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, I had exactly the same problem. I ordered an external USB bluetooth device for my PC and connected the controllers to the USB device and not to the G2 (unbind from the G2 first...). Works without any issues! So I think it's something with the firmware of the G2. 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

I had a very similar problem and contacted support. For me, always the left controller would not track. It paired ok and the button presses were recognized, but I couldn't see it in Windows Mixed Reality Portal.

They had me plug the unit into a different PC and try it out. I was beyond SUPER skeptical.  But, it worked fine.

On the first PC (my main PC), I was plugged directly into a USB C port in the back. The second PC (older/slower) didn't have one, so I had to use the USBC->USBA adapter.  I was hopeful this was part of the problem on the first/newer PC, but plugging into a USBA port there did not resolve the issue, it still can't see one of the controllers.

Advice from support was not super helpful - contact the manufacturer of my PC (me) to update controller drivers. Fun.

HP Recommended

That's interesting! My PC has one USB-C port and I tried that first. Nothing worked. The screen turned black every second or so. I then used the adapter to connect it to a USB-A type port and this is how I got it to work (except for the controller problem).

I'll try to update drivers or switch the port.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I have now uninstalled/reinstalled WMR, tried all my ports, updated all my drivers and Windows on my main PC.

Still no dice. Let me know if you had any luck, please.

HP Recommended

I updated the mainboard BIOS and drivers, but that didn't help. I changed a setting for the USB-C port from auto to enabled (I think it had to do with power). Now I can use the USB-C port with the G2, but I still have the controller problem. I think I'll contact HP support as well.

HP Recommended

So, two bits of news:

1) I installed a fresh copy of Windows on a spare drive, and the controllers worked fine! So, that's something.

2) Even better, someone responded to my post about this on reddit and said it might be calibration cache corruption:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/k0j3qz/left_controller_wont_track_on_one_of_my_pcs/gdkm6i...

Tonight I will test this and see if it resolves the issue on my main computer.

HP Recommended

The link I posted above (clearing the calibration cache) absolutely fixed this for me!

HP Recommended

Nice! It didn't fix my problem, but I'm glad it fixed yours!

Did you have to do anything else besides deleting the folder and rebooting?

HP Recommended

I didn't even have to reboot, just cleared the cache.

I does occur to me though that I had to run cmd.exe as administrator otherwise the cache was invisible.

HP Recommended

Ok, I think my problem has a different cause then.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.