Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

So far, I am very disappointed with HP:

• First, I placed my order with a promise of shipping in mid-November. It did not.
  • Then, My order disappeared from the website (because they upgraded to a newer system, and did not bother carrying over the existing orders).
  • After several calls, my order finally shipped past more than a month later from its original promised shipping date, and arrived today (19th).
  • It worked for a very short while, and then stopped working! All I get is "Check your USB cable. Make sure that the USB cable is plugged into the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port. Error code: 4-1"
  • When I checked the warranty, I see that it was started 10 days ago (December 09), instead of its shipping date!
  • I cannot submit a support case/ticket, because the website shows "This product is no longer serviced by HP. You may search for possible solutions on this support website.". Seriously?
  • I called, but they are closed on the weekends. Of course... If they cared about customer experience, none of the above would have happened, and this is just further confirmation.

So far, HP has just been a joke, compared to my experience with my original HTC Vive.

I've learned my lesson, and never again.

For anyone else considering buying an HP Reverb G2, my recommendation would be to stay away!!!

I have already done my homework and tried a bunch of recommendations suggested online, and none of them worked.

Some people said their solution was to get a replacement, which then worked. This suggests that HP is pushing bad units that have not been tested properly, to its customers.

There goes my plans to spend the holidays having fun with my new headset... 😠

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@GTForce

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I preordered way back in September.  I was told I'd get it in October, then it got delayed to November, and then delayed again to "before the end of the year".  Well I got it, and it worked for all of ONE DAY before it refuses to work.  I don't know if it's related to a Microsoft Windows update or not, but after the update and reboot it refuses to work. I get "Check your USB cable. Make sure the USB cable is plugged into the SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port.  Error code 4-1" and nothing I can do works. I've changed ports, I've put it directly into a USB type C port on a PCI-E card, I've tried a powered USB 3.0 hub, and I've tried every port on my computer and nothing works.

I tried an older WMR headset (Odyssey+) and it works just fine so it's not my Mixed Reality Portal. 

HP Recommended

It has nothing to do with Windows updates. 

So far, I've tried mine in three different computers, and it works in none of them. This suggests that it is dead. 

It's extremely disappointing that HP sells units that cost this much without proper quality control and assurance. 

HP Recommended

Well it worked for about 15 minutes before I rebooted for an update which is why I suspected that the update was the cause. If I absolutely never got it working I would have assumed it was DOA. 

HP Recommended

If that's what you suspect, you should be able to roll the latest updates back and try again.

Let me know what happens, if you try that.

By the way, have you used a direct USB-C connection or have you used the USB-TypeA converter?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I did try to uninstall the update in question and with that, the Mixed Reality portal stopped working altogether.  It was mostly a roll-up update with a lot of the same stuff as the previous update but with some "added fixes" apparently.

And yes, I've tried a USB C port on both my motherboard and on a PCI-E card.  I didn't start trying the type A adapter until it started failing on the type C.

HP Recommended

Do you see a difference when you use the direct USB-C connection or the USB-A adapter? 

If I use the former, nothing happens, as if I didn't connect it. If I use the latter, it appears in the Device Manager, but then has an issue (maddeningly, three different issues on three different computers!). 

Is it the same with you? 

HP Recommended

If I connect it via the adapter, I get nothing but errors, and sometimes it doesn't even get recognized at all and acts like nothing is plugged in.  Connecting it via the type C at least gives me audio through the headset, but no video.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.