Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

The GPU is perfectly fine, never goes above 72C, definitely well engineered cooling, the CPU is the issue and nothing we can do, unless there is better case and at least 240mm, to cool it down.  

HP Recommended

lol, i think we have different definitions of the term 'nothing'. For all those not wanting to spend another $300+ and would like to actually fix the cause. I would look towards this software based fix. I should also mention that I am an elevator repair man, for Otis elevator...we have intel hq on contract here in silicon valley...where i live. Yesterday I literally went there, facilities actually walked me to a gentleman to talk to casually. He told me disabling this will not harm anything and that this a problem they are aware of, but....most systems it works well so they keep it. It also allows them to squeeze every last bit of benchmark out, but that its not necessarily everyday usable power.more marketing, and for gaming i wouldnt even notice as it will only effect extreme multi core processes like 3d renders. He mentioned that for laptop owners it will also greatly increase battery life by disabling. I am now happy with my temps and am actually benching higher than out of the box. My single core is higher than reference. Im below ref on multicore but also testing with a few apps running like discord and spotify so doesnt bother me at all. By using the intel extreme utility you can also set each core to have a temp cutoff where once temps are reached turbo will disable. I find just disabling turbo easier and setting a paired app the way to go. hope this helps someone, if it doesnt work then destroy your warranty and spend more money. But you can find this being an issue all the way back to 2013 with a quick google search. Some suggest lowering voltage. Id say...dont. That will effect the cpu is all processes not just short turbo. as was shown earlier in this thread.

(stock everything on normal)

2020-12-21_18-32-28.png

(short turbo disabled)

2020-12-21_18-42-58.png

HP Recommended

To each their own, as they say, I prefer to use the CPU as it's intended by the engineers at Intel, if they thought its a good idea, it would have been released that way. Oh and not to mention that being 10850K, that is inviting overclocking and not downclocking, with better cooling solution, overclocking won't be an issue. Every single Intel K generation since i7 875K, I had overclocked significantly over its base clock, I have the same plan for this one as well. 

Furthermore, I just tested with XTU and your settings with disabled and enabled Turbo Boost Short Power, no difference in temperatures, running Cinebench R20, I got 98C on the package and several cores reported the same 97-98C, that is definitely not a solution, but I wish it was that simple.  

HP Recommended

wait. as intel intended? or you are going to over clock? it cant be both. an over clocked pc has to have turbo boost disabled.

Im interested to see benchs on a new setup. I dont think that every intel chip comes the best optimized though. They set a default spec, because they have no idea what mobo, psu or anything else will go with it. overclocking is you choosing core voltage not short turbo boost doing it. so can still over clock, infact to overclock you will HAVE to disable this. here is an explantantion with more words than i feel like typing lol,

"Let me give you an example.
My laptop runs at a base clock speed of 1.6ghz and turbo boosts all the way till 2.7ghz. Turbo boost basically allows my laptop to get better clockspeeds all the way till 2.7ghz,but that doesnt necessarily mean that whenever i boot up, or watch movies or game, that my processor will stick to a certain clockspeed. Nope. It will keep fluctuating between 1.6 and 2.7. It will never stick to a constant rate. Due to these fluctuations, it causes delay in application response, applications to hang, frame drops and many other problems. Now on the other hand if my laptop was running at 2.5ghz constantly, it would work smooth on everything application, and even on gaming, But that is not what turbo boost is designed to do.
Now What is Overclocking? Overclocking means modifying ur base clock speed to a higher/better clock speed. Now in my case. If i were to overclock my laptop hypothetically (Dont try this! This only works for pc, since laptops dont have a stock cooler or liquid cooling to handle the heat generated due to overclocking) i would set it at 2.5ghz.
Now what would be the diffference if i compare my previous turbo boosted speed and my overclocked speeds is that, previously my clockspeeds would keep fluctuating between 1.6 and 2.7 for any application. But after i overclocked it, i will get 2.5ghz constantly resulting in better response time, better gaming fps rates, handle better load that before etc."

-The problem with turbo boost is that it is all over the place. and nobody is going to overclock at 250w as that would be max power all the time. and way less will be needed to be stable. so overclocking this off the top would probably drop it 5-10 degrees as the spikes would be gone.

Clearly a better cooler and case will also help. Which did you get?

i upgraded from 9700k and before from a 4790k. i have oc'd but also mostly choose not to on cpus. gpus on the other hand, everytime. this is the first pre build ive bought. and its better than i thought it was gonna be even with this issue. My friend also upgraded, but from origin. his was $4k, i9 10900x/3080 . I m benching higher than him for $1k less. so if you guys bench higher in a new case and cooler, ill buy my dream case, dream cooler and still be ahead. With one hell of an pc.

When you guys get new coolers post your cpuz benchs and such. I need to how much im missing out on. switching may unlock "unlimited power!"  plus this cpu and pre build will be out there for a long time and will help others down the road. 

Just ran cinebench cpu test and never broke 93' I had also placed a 120mm fan ontop of my case for $5 to help pull air through the radiator. I believe thats the airflow block... the triangle holes on top.  if a ton of air flowed over that radiator it would do a better job. I dont think this case was initially designed for a cooler or atleast a serious one. 

HP Recommended

Yes Turbo Boost will be disabled, but essentially you are replacing it with your own Turbo Boost, when you overclock all the cores and threads. For example if the max turbo is 5Hgz and you set it across all cores, that becomes the constant max turbo across all of them, and not just a single core, as Intel normally would rate their max turbo.

But to disable the turbo and not overclock at the same time, seems unreasonable to me.

Btw, that 93C that you are getting is still way too high, that CPU and especially after your changes shouldn't even go over 75C if its properly cooled and well ventilated. 

As for GPU OC, its not even worth it for years now, back in the day when you could squeeze another 5 frames, that actually mattered a lot, as the difference between 55 and 60 FPS is more noticeable than between 130 and 135FPS. Now the CPU is the bottleneck almost always, and especially with 3080 and 3090, in order to see the full potential of those cards, you have to have a very high clocked CPU to compensate for the bottleneck. 

Here are my results below, with the short turbo disabled, temps are way too high:

HP Recommended

Grüezi zäme

I've exactly the same setup 😁 (bought by Microspot) and i was also worry about the noise and the CPU temperature.

The components in our Omen are good (even the Cool Master water Cooler), it's really a good and balanced RIG, this should not happen.

After some investigations I found the following solution:

GO TO : Power & Sleep -> Additional power settings ->  Select "HP Recommended" -> Change advanced power settings

FOR "HP Recommended" in the section" Processor power management" change :

- "Minimum processor state" to 5% (instead of 100%)  !!!Always 100% totally overkill!!!

- "Maximum processor state" to 99% (instead of 100%) !!!The I9 10k is anyway overkill for gaming, capping it at 99% will avoid unnecessary heat without any performance impact!!!

Those changes had an huge impact on my CPU temperature and the fans behaviour is now more understandable for me.

Of course some times I've some peaks at 80°C-100°C, but now when it happens the Fans are directly reacting and the CPU temperature gets directly down to more acceptable ranges.

In Cyberpunk 2077 I'm now in average arround~65°C, even with the "quiet" mode in the omen app (with "turbo" I can reach ~60°C in average).

To monitor the temperatures I'm also using HW monitor, the Omen app is reacting to slowly...

I hope it'll help
Cheers

HP Recommended

@whiskycharlie1      

Hey.   Did you really honestly talk too someone at the HP building?        And that’s what they said?    

im debating on buying a i7 10700k 3080.      30L omen. 

because of all the temperature talk.  

But you seem to have a half decent solution.    And that coupled with what the person at hp said.    And that mine is a 700 not 850.            
  I’m hoping the one I’m looking at won’t get so Hot? 

HP Recommended

@comlab1 wrote:

Thank for the reply. I turned off overclocking and checked the thermal paste, there was enough 🙂 I would even say too much, but thermal paste is a philosophy. Anyway I cleaned it up applied new one and tested again, with no better results. When stressing the CPU over a few minutes the CPU get's hot and some cores reaching 100C an the fan goes crazy loud. I assume then the CPU start throttling down and the temp comes slightly down. 80-90C. I'm wondering if another cooler would help? Or is there something wrong with my system?

Why not try not to mix everything up!
This is the original problem as a reminder!
Sorry, but in all these answers, we do not find it any more!
It is going to be difficult for anyone to find a solution to their own problem, if there is!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hey.   Did you really honestly talk too someone at the HP building?        And that’s what they said?    

im debating on buying a i7 10700k 3080.      30L omen. 

because of all the temperature talk.  

But you seem to have a half decent solution.    And that coupled with what the person at hp said.    And that mine is a 700 not 850.            
  I’m hoping the one I’m looking at won’t get so Hot? 

HP Recommended

no at intel. yeah. and by then reading further into this i have understood some of that convo more. unfortanetly a new cooler will only be a fix witha  new case...and then you might as well upgrade the mobo too as it is lacking alot of bells and whistles. However if you take control of your power it runs pretty solid. I have been just opening intel utility when i start my pc and it autos into my profile. in that profile I have disabled short turbo. Aswell as set a thermal throttle at 93'/ with that set when they hit that temp they stop turboing. Ibenched next to my buddies new 10900k with 240 aio..i was 20% higher. he scored a 3200, this pc scored 4k, he paid $1k more lol. You wont be able to overclock very well here. but i havent had any thought of needing too...yet. but if you see a way to upgrade the case and cooler it will fix it and run like a monster. im averaging 4.78ghz. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.