Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0051na
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I purchased this pc little over 6 months ago, due to the fact I have had more free time in quarantine I have used my pc for gaming a lot more. I have found due to only 2 fans in the whole pc the cpu and gpu  get very hot in under an hour. I have checked to see if any other programs are causing it in task manger but it seems only the game I am playing is the issue. I would add a water cooler but due to the lack of space in the case for additional fans it doesn't seem useful. Ideally a new pc would be perfect but due to the fact many people are having this issue and many  haven't received a refund I doubt I will get one. I have no clue what to do because unless the pc cools down overclocking will not be an option and the pc's life will be drastically shortened. To make matters more infuriating curry's no longer sells this model  but sell a newer version with more cooling options. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I am no expert but I had similar issues. I even sent my machine back to HP to repair, with no results. Tried various things, so I can share what worked for me.

If your game is CPU intensive game, like many older games (most recent ones are GPU intensive), it might cause overheating. If you do not perform other CPU intensive tasks while gaming, try lowering your processor usage to 80% and see if that helps. Remember to put it back to 100% when you need to. Another thing that could work for you is to lower the number of logical processors the game is using (task manager-details tab-right click on process-set affinity). Uncheck some boxes there.

The first option halved both CPU/GPU temperatures for me, when playing an old multi-client game, with basic graphics but big power requirements.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately no luck as the game is very new - CoD Modern Warfare but thanks anyway. I was just wondering what hp said when you sent back the pc.

HP Recommended

They said they fixed it. They did their stress tests and replaced the thermal module. However, I saw absolutely no difference,

Sorry I could not help, I hope a more experienced person follows your thread. Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thanks anyway, I am going to contact curry's via email and I'll keep everyone posted.

But if you are reading this make sure not to buy the hp omen obelisk.

Any help would still be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

COD Modern warfare is a CPU intensive game, GPU usage is low. Try my recommendations and let me know!

What worked for me:

1. Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
  2. Click Hardware and Sound.
  3. Select Power Options.
  4. Find Processor power management and open the menu for Minimum processor state.
  5. Change the setting for plugged in to 80%.

This will work like charm if you do not perform other CPU intensive tasks while gaming.

If you do not want to lower your entire CPU usage, try this. However, it might not yield significant results:

Lower the number of logical processors the game is using (task manager-details tab-right click on process-set affinity). Uncheck some boxes there.

You can google ''call of duty modern warfare CPU or GPU intensive'' to verify.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I tried this an as I was typing this the fan randomly shot up (has happened quite a bit) whilst only google was open. I have come to the conclusion that the fact there is only 1 case fan is most likely the issue- 3 is the recommended minimum. I am going to call tomorrow and try to get my money back. 

fan speeds high.png

This was the temp when I opened Google.

HP Recommended

@Krish_P_16, Welcome to HP Support Community!

We shall escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is just for anyone following with the same issue. I called the support team and ran some tests. The first set was checking if everything was up to date- e.g graphics card. Then I ran a 4hour test from bios (bios- f2- full test). No issues found in the test but temps still extreme and fans blazing. My theory of lack of case fans still stands. Honestly, I just want my money back ASAP so I can get a new pc and be done with this one. They are going to call back Monday and probs take my pc away for testing. Hopefully, this won't happen as I'll be left in the dark ages for a week. Best case scenario- money back, worst case- they will send it away and "fix it" and I'll be on this journey for much longer.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.