Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen by HP Obelisk Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This pc was made for gaming and supposed to work well for better graphics for gaming but it doesn't, I try putting high quality graphics in games but it doesn't work it starts making loud sounds and it overheats and the game doesn't run smooth at all and it will crash sometimes, I have to keep the game qualities low so that the game can run smooth and to prevent the pc to overheat, so I dont know what to do

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Im gonna leave this for you also in case you've just decided enough is enough.

This is the link for HP Support, which I assume you are still under warranty?

If reinstalling the driver doesn't do it, contact them for further help.

They may have you send it back to them for repairs.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hello @GameOboy_360 

Ill try to help as best I can but...

Need better details or there is no way to know how to help.

Please post what the Product Number is of your Obelisk so I can look up what the specs are.

Go to Start and find the HP Support Assistant. Run it and look for the P/N or Product Number.

Also what game? Every one of them are different.

What upgrade did you do? What was the actual product installed and don't just say something like graphics card... Tell me what the graphics card is specifically.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @GameOboy_360

I know what you mean by overheating since I have an Omen Obelisk with a RTX 2080ti and an i9-9900k (water cooled) but are you sure it is as you say?

It is true that the system can get really hot but it needs a while to reach the GPUs set thermal limit which is 88°C. The Nvidia GPU is configrued so that it'll reach 84°C while maintaining 50% GPU fan speed to reduce noise. At 84°C the thermal limit starts to kick in but the performance should still be pretty good. The moment the GPU exceedes the 88°C the GPU will throttle its overall power thus reducing performance. You'll have such problems more with a laptop than a desktop computer.

For example, when I play Call of Duty Modern Warfare the GPU is at 98% (average) performance which is really high but reaches 84°C pretty fast. The highest temperature it reached was once 87°C but just for a second. Most of the time it stays at 84°C. When I play DOTA it reaches max 75°C. The high temperature has also to do with the GPU Nvidia boost which gets everything out of your graphic card to give you the best performance it can (got this information from another forum).

The CPU can even get to 100°C without having any issues since (as I've seen) it is made to reach such temperatures.

Everyone of us would like it cooler but then you've to deal with the fan noises. What I've done is to set two extra 92mm fans on the bottom which are set to 55% (about 1100 to 1200rpm) speed with a fan controller. It doesn't make the GPU or CPU cooler because the System fans will reduce the rpm based on the thermal limit. I really did it because of the overall fan noise (more fresh air = less fan noise)

If you really want your GPU fan to go faster than the set 50% speed at 84°C you can use MSI Afterburner or Pilat Thunder Master to set the target rpm.

But please do update your graphic card driver first since this resolved my performance issue. The first 3d mark test I did reached 10700 Points. After I updated all driver the 3d mark benchmark reached 12200 Points (12700 with CPU overclocking)

Hope to have taken some of your uncertainities since I had the same concerns until yesterday 😄 … I've been running so many tests in the last few days.

Kind regards,

Ove

HP Recommended

Thanks for helping me i appreciate it, so the product number is 4NN46AA#ABA

And the games that I play are:

-Fortnite

-Just Cause 4

-Close to the sun

The graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

HP Recommended

OK Thanks. Your model number is OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop PC - 875-0160.

And try to be very detailed in all your explanations to help me understand better. The system will get hot when gaming as its being stressed more, but I need to know how hot, hot is.

• Its overheating on all the games you listed or just one?
  • What is the temperature when its overheated? (You can run the Omen Command Center to see the temps)

Thanks.

And to anyone else chiming in, lets let the OP tell us these details before making assumptions and giving misleading information please.

HP Recommended

All the games that are listed makes the pc overheats 

HP Recommended

Everytime I play games with high quality presets the pc starts to sound loud and the temperature goes to like between 90 f° and up

I dont remember but I'm sure it goes that high when I'm gaming

HP Recommended

Fortnite wont be as demanding as Just Cause 4.

Run the Omen Command Center with Fortnite on high settings and pay attention to the temps. Tell me what its actually reading and play the game until its stuttering. Look at the temps then.

Note: There could be different reasons for the overheating beside the demand of the game. Fortnite should not be heating your CPU in the 90's on a desktop PC with a liquid cooler. There might be something else running in the background also.

Open the Windows Task Manager before you start the game.

1. Under Processes, click once to highlight the CPU column and when gaming, check the list of processes in that column.
  2. You are looking for anything that would be eating up a lot of CPU% during the game. If you find one, you can End Task it and see if it helps.

Im looking to see if that is the culprit before deciding you need to repaste the CPU or reinstall Windows.

Just a side note: you can repaste the CPU heat-sink yourself, but if you damage anything you will void the warranty. Just so you know in case you've never done that before.

Let me know what you find.

HP Recommended

I clicked under processes and it showed a list and it showed that Fortnite was not responding so I dont know if I should end task on Fortnite what do I do

HP Recommended

Before I got this pc it was pre-built I didn't customize so I dont think it has a liquid cooler 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.