Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! So i had one stick of 8gb of 2666mhz RAM that came with my pc, and i decided to upgrade it to 16gb of ram, still 2666 as this is the maximum allowed by my motherboard 84FD and CPU i5-8400, but as i installed my new ram, the frequency defaulted to 2133Mhz, and the HP Bios does not provide any XMP options, to change it back to the 2666 normal speed, even though the ram itself does have XMP. Is there any way to increase the ram frequency back to what it, the motherboard and the cpu can handle?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello

[start]
This is an automatic response
in order to avoid writing the same thing each time

Some elements may therefore not apply to you 
To be able to answer you effectively, we need some information

we need the exact model of your computer, and the product number
To find it follow this
for a desktop computer

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? | HP® Customer Support
and for a laptop
HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

Give the full name with the product number P / N

this is not a model:
HP Desktop M01-F1xxx
the requested product number must look like this
Product Number: 9EE50AA # ABA
the model corresponding to this number will therefore be
HP Desktop - M01-F1033wb

Give the full version of windows

for windows 10 type winver in the search box
if you give the best information
your problem could have a solution more quickly (depending on the difficulty, of course)
Learn how to use the Community

Advice for asking the "Very Best Question"

First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0001np, Windows version 20H2,  Product number 4ZJ23EA#AB9.

HP Recommended

@VegitronThis isn't uncommon for an HP ram upgrade to default to the bios fail safe SPD speed of 2133, especially when you add a mismatched stick with a factory stick (even though they are the same frequencies). HP bios is finicky and if it detects a change of any kind to the memory, it can do this.

You are better off with a matched pair of the same brand and model number sticks with the correct frequency, although that is not a guarantee either. I have read from other Obelisk users that they had good luck using Crucial's Ballistix ram from the Crucial Memory Finder website. Crucial guarantees theirs to work or your money back.

I would check them out. They don't have your exact model listed, but a similar model will have the same exact ram as yours.

I would give that a try perhaps... https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/omen-obelisk-875-0000np

Edit: If you do use Crucial's ram, ignore the models with higher timings than 2666, even though they list it as compatible.

HP Recommended

As i said i bought a new 2x8 G.Skill 2666 sticks of ram, they are identical and cametogether as a pack, i did not use the original stick together with them so it's not mismatched

HP Recommended

Well, you didn't actually specify above, but no worries friend. We are only here trying to help.

As I stated, even with a matched pair its not always a guarantee it will work right. That is why I posted a link to ram that has been known to work correctly in your model. Unfortunately, there is nothing else you can do with the ram you already purchased.  If you choose to simply keep what you already have, the difference between 2133 and 2666 will be small as far as FPS in gaming is concerned with most games. Its up to you.

HP Recommended

Alright, thank you for your time!

HP Recommended

well @Vegitron  we answered before my return

Memory

HyperX 8 GB
  • Amount: 8 GB
  • Speed: PC4-21300 MB/s
  • Type: DDR4-2666

Memory upgrade information

• Dual channel (1 DIMM per channel) memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666)
  • Supports 8 GB and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 32 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers.

I wanted to check, if it was possible for you, but no

Solved: Re: Overclocking RAM in the BIOS - HP Support Community - 8166347

you can try third-party software, which I don't recommend anyway, may be dangerous, or just not work

Solved: How to enable XMP profile in bios (if possible) - HP Support Community - 7730603

Solved: I can't change the XMP profile - HP Support Community - 7939056
Otherwise, as indicated, remained like this, or if still possible, make the modules, and buy other compatible modules

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Prométhée  His timings were already established. All you did was point to that old version of Intel XTU that is no longer supported. There was a reason Intel stopped including Ram overclocking because it cause instability issues.

@Vegitron  Sure you could try it, but I will never recommend it. Its up to you.

HP Recommended

Well, i have tried using intel's extreme utility new, and older versions including the 6.5.2.40 , and a program called taiphoon burner, but  it seems to be locked by the bios itself even with third party software. I don't really understand HP's mindset in making this, seeing as it only makes people avoid purchasing their products. Thank you all for the help!

Vegitron_0-1633203795189.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.