Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop PC GT12-0000i (ID 7WM96AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I am trying to see what processor and gpu upgrades I can do to this machine. I am aware that I will need to up the powersupply just trying to see what gpu and processors are compatible with this board to make it more powerful.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Djmckeever,

According to your desktop's specs with a Dorado (HP 8704) motherboard here: OMEN 25L GT12-0040 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support, these are the compatible CPUs as per HP: 

NonSequitur777_0-1652453934330.png

According to this table, the fastest processor available for your platform would be the i9-10900.  However, based on your chipset (Intel H470) and LGA1200 socket, theoretically the 11th gen i7-11700 (identical 65 watt TDP) should also be compatible. -I'm looking into this right now and get back to you.

[EDIT:] According to Intel, the i7-11700 is compatible with the H470 chipset (see link: Intel® H470 Chipset).  However, the small print also says, quote: "[HP] Motherboards for Intel processors are made with chipsets provided by Intel. Each chipset offers a unique set of capabilities. However, motherboards must explicitly support features and capabilities for you to use them. Verify that a motherboard supports the features and capabilities you desire."  -In straight English, I'm afraid what this most likely means, is that an i7-11700 probably would not run on an HP Dorado 8704 motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

which is best for streaming/gaming?

HP Recommended

@Djmckeever,

I would stick with the i9-10900 or the i7-10700. What matters most in terms of gaming performance is your choice of graphics card: RTX 3070 or beyond.

According to Intel Core i9-10900 Review - Fail at Stock, Impressive when Unlocked - Value & Conclusion | TechPowe... (July 2020), quote: "For gaming, the i9-10900 is still an outstanding choice. Even at stock, it is faster than any processor we have ever tested with the exception of the i9-10900K."

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@Djmckeever,

And make sure you have sufficient RAM: 2 x16 GB DDR4 PC4-25600 (3200 MHz) UDIMM 288-pin RAM.  Or if you really want to go all-out, 2 x 32 GB is an option.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.