cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Djmckeever
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Trying to see what processor and gpu upgrades are possible with my omen 25L

HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop PC GT12-0000i (ID 7WM96AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I am trying to see what processor and gpu upgrades I can do to this machine. I am aware that I will need to up the powersupply just trying to see what gpu and processors are compatible with this board to make it more powerful.

4 REPLIES 4
NonSequitur777
Level 9
1,843 1,835 213 604
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Djmckeever,

According to your desktop's specs with a Dorado (HP 8704) motherboard here: OMEN 25L GT12-0040 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support, these are the compatible CPUs as per HP: 

NonSequitur777_0-1652453934330.png

According to this table, the fastest processor available for your platform would be the i9-10900.  However, based on your chipset (Intel H470) and LGA1200 socket, theoretically the 11th gen i7-11700 (identical 65 watt TDP) should also be compatible. -I'm looking into this right now and get back to you.

[EDIT:] According to Intel, the i7-11700 is compatible with the H470 chipset (see link: Intel® H470 Chipset).  However, the small print also says, quote: "[HP] Motherboards for Intel processors are made with chipsets provided by Intel. Each chipset offers a unique set of capabilities. However, motherboards must explicitly support features and capabilities for you to use them. Verify that a motherboard supports the features and capabilities you desire."  -In straight English, I'm afraid what this most likely means, is that an i7-11700 probably would not run on an HP Dorado 8704 motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

Dear fellow Forum member, I sincerely hope my response is helpful. If it is, please consider to click "YES" on the: "Was this reply helpful?" button. If my response answered your question, please indicate below as an "Accepted Solution".
1 person found this reply helpful
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Djmckeever
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

which is best for streaming/gaming?

NonSequitur777
Level 9
1,843 1,835 213 604
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Djmckeever,

I would stick with the i9-10900 or the i7-10700. What matters most in terms of gaming performance is your choice of graphics card: RTX 3070 or beyond.

According to Intel Core i9-10900 Review - Fail at Stock, Impressive when Unlocked - Value & Conclusion | TechPowe... (July 2020), quote: "For gaming, the i9-10900 is still an outstanding choice. Even at stock, it is faster than any processor we have ever tested with the exception of the i9-10900K."

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

Dear fellow Forum member, I sincerely hope my response is helpful. If it is, please consider to click "YES" on the: "Was this reply helpful?" button. If my response answered your question, please indicate below as an "Accepted Solution".
NonSequitur777
Level 9
1,843 1,835 213 604
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Djmckeever,

And make sure you have sufficient RAM: 2 x16 GB DDR4 PC4-25600 (3200 MHz) UDIMM 288-pin RAM.  Or if you really want to go all-out, 2 x 32 GB is an option.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation