Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a few questions about upgrading my Hp Omen 880-020... It has an RX580 and the Ryzen 5 1400. I would like to upgrade the processor to a decent Ryzen 7 But the HP Processor upgrade site says that it supports up to a Ryzen 7 1800x and I think I want better... So is it like a cooler issue or is there something else holding me back from upgrading to a better Ryzen 7 than that. Also I would like to know what the dimensions of the cooler is and what i can upgrade my cooler to if the cooler is the thing holding me back. I'd also like to upgrade to an RTX 2060 Super, would that work with the motherboard and do you think the already installed 500watt psu will be able to support all of those upgrades. My computer has the Higos motherboard by the way... you know the red one... the HP website says the limit for the processor is 95 watts and I looked it up and I currently think it's a cooling issue because the cooler on this one is relatively small. Any insights are welcome, please halp. 🙂

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

HP has modified the MB CPU heat sink mounting points on the Higos MB. This MB has a square mounting point pattern similar to Intel's socket 1151. AMD uses a rectangular CPU heat sink mounting system.

This MB only supports Ryzen 1000 series processors per HP specs (Link). HP could add additional CPU support but the latest BIOS update (Link) only shows additional security features in the "fixes' section.

The 2060 super requires a minimum 550 watt power supply with one eight pin PCIe connection from the PSU to the graphics card.

You have some issues to deal with if you want to upgrade the CPU and the graphics card.

- you may need a HP BIOS update which provides additional CPU support to install Ryzen 2000 series and above processors in this MB.

- the existing CPU heat sink may be inadequate if you do a 1800x.

- AMD Wraith coolers and retail CPU coolers rated a 95 watts or higher may not work on this motherboard.

- the existing power supply may have to be upgraded to run a 2060 super.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks... I appreciate the reply, how do I know what power supply to get and how would I go about updating the bios to get a better ryzen going? What coolers would you suggest for the better processor?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

I am not aware of any other HP BIOS update except for the BIOS update link in my previous response. This BIOS update seems to only provide security enhancements. 

This means trying a Ryzen: 2000 series or 3000 series CPU may result in an "Unsupported Processor" POST error message.

The 1800x could require a better CPU cooling solution but the 1700 should be okay using the existing CPU cooler. This MB has some CPU cooling issues because HP modified the motherboard heat sink or water block mounting points.

Here is  a (Link) to a related thread. Please carefully read all posts at this link. 

One user (JohnnyNo5) claims to have installed a Corsair H60 AIO liquid cooler on this MB using the socket 1151 hardware Corsair provides with the cooler.

I have no way to verify this. This could void your warranty if you have an extended warranty.

Forgot the power supply question, any Gold or higher rated ATX power supply at 550 watts or higher should do the job.

Power Supply examples:

Corsair

EVGA

Seasonic

Antec

Regards

HP Recommended

So would a Cooler Master 212 Evo cooler work on this board? it says it fits most sockets because it has adjustable mounts. also would a 700watt 80+ bronze work? and if i were to upgrade my bios and it didnt work, my computer would run the same right? because i might just get a processor that i can return if i need to and try the bios update.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I can't answer the 212 question with confidence because I have never worked with your MB or with this chassis. The chassis is designed to work with uATX motherboards.

Plus you have the unknown CPU socket mounting point issue; will the Intel mounting hardware work with the Higos MB?

I have installed the 212 in other PCs. I can tell you there are easier to install air cooled CPU systems available.

You would have to verify the 212 heat sink and fan footprint (LxHxW) fits on the MB and in the chassis.

You need to install the 212 MB back plate to install the heat sink.

Any ATX power supply having similar dimensions to the HP power supply should work.

The 1800x CPU will work now or with a successful BIOS update. A next Gen. AMD Ryzen may not work after a BIOS update.

You can reinstall the factory CPU if the new Ryzen CPU is not compatible with HP's BIOS.

Regards 

HP Recommended

Well that's good to know because i was actually concerned about the fitment because the chassis of the 880 is very slim and I was wondering if it would fit. Do you know the dimensions of the cooler socket or any type of socket number? And could I install the 700 watt 80+ bronze power supply? if so would i have to move any other components to install it? the psu I am looking at is the EVGA  700b

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am trying to assist as much as possible. I can't provide information I don't have.

I don't want to provide incorrect information which costs money, wastes time, and causes aggravation.

The Higos motherboard (MB) should have rectangular AM4 socket mounting points but the Higos MB has square mounting points. A different forum member claims they have installed a Corsair AIO liquid cooler on a Higos MB using the Intel back plate and mounting hardware.

This creates a big unknown factor. This unknown extends to any Intel liquid cooled or air cooled option you might try.

I can't verify if the Intel back plate mounting hardware or the Intel back plate works on this MB.

You have to measure the existing HP power supply. Then compare the dimensions of the HP power supply to the EVGA power supply. Similar dimensions should indicate the EVGA power supply will fit in your chassis.

Regards

HP Recommended

That's alright... I appreciate all of the help. I'll go look at the other posts that might help. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Check the forums.

You may find someone having "hands on" experience upgrading the CPU cooler on the Higos motherboard.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.