Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Heya!

early 2018 I got myself a hp omen 880-190no and my warranty expired earlier this year

recently my PSU have been failing on me, getting 5-10 second long freezes every hour or so.

no problem, I’ll order a new one and replace it.

but while I’m changing the psu I figured I might do some upgrades to my pc, and would like to confirm that everything is still compatible.

for ram I’m looking at this:

https://www.inet.se/produkt/5301255/corsair-32gb-2x16gb-ddr4-3000mhz-cl15-vengeance-lpx

and I thought I would switch the cpu to a i7 9700k. I read that it should work on z370 after a bios update, have hp issued an update like that or would I have to order a 8700k instead to stay compatible?

also for the cpu fan I would have to get a new one too right? I did some googling and found this forum here saying they found one that’s suitable for this motherboard, just wanted to check if its good enough for a 8700k/9700k as they have a higher tdp than the 7700 mentioned in that post.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/HP-OMEN-880-011-CPU-cooling-upgrade/td-p/6862137

im quite new to the pc space so i appreciate all and any input

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Lets see if I can break this down a little so I can answer.

1. How do you know its the PSU causing the periodic freezing? There could be many things doing this.
    If you still wish to replace the PSU, I would consider looking for a higher wattage, in case you decide to upgrade the graphics card to the newer 2000 series or what ever comes out in the future. The HP 1080 is designed to run on lower power and not like a full brand name graphics card. Just a thought.

2. That ram might work, but no guarantees. Its rated for 3000Mhz, but your system will only utilize 2400Mhz and cannot be changed in the bios. It would be down clocked to 2400 or maybe even lower if the motherboard doesn't like that rams controller, or it might simply not work at all. You would be wasting money getting faster ram.
    I recommend Crucial memory only because they guarantee theirs to work or your money back. Here is the listing for the USA store, you can maybe look for the compatible memory model in your country?  https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/omen-880-190no.
  3. Bios version F.50 Rev.A added support for the 9th gen CPU, so yes you could upgrade to that if you update the bios first. sp97077.exe.
  4. Look  like that Ben Nevis cooler would work if you want simple air cooling, according to those users.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Lets see if I can break this down a little so I can answer.

1. How do you know its the PSU causing the periodic freezing? There could be many things doing this.
    If you still wish to replace the PSU, I would consider looking for a higher wattage, in case you decide to upgrade the graphics card to the newer 2000 series or what ever comes out in the future. The HP 1080 is designed to run on lower power and not like a full brand name graphics card. Just a thought.

2. That ram might work, but no guarantees. Its rated for 3000Mhz, but your system will only utilize 2400Mhz and cannot be changed in the bios. It would be down clocked to 2400 or maybe even lower if the motherboard doesn't like that rams controller, or it might simply not work at all. You would be wasting money getting faster ram.
    I recommend Crucial memory only because they guarantee theirs to work or your money back. Here is the listing for the USA store, you can maybe look for the compatible memory model in your country?  https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/omen-880-190no.
  3. Bios version F.50 Rev.A added support for the 9th gen CPU, so yes you could upgrade to that if you update the bios first. sp97077.exe.
  4. Look  like that Ben Nevis cooler would work if you want simple air cooling, according to those users.
HP Recommended

thanks for your fast reply,

what makes me think it’s the psu is that my issues did not appear until I installed a 3rd hdd earlier this year. I do not see any weird spikes in cpu or memory load when these freezes happen.

ill order some 2400 mhz ram sticks instead then, better safe than sorry! I will most certainly check if crucial is available in my country.

As for the other 2 subjects I think those are solved. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Adding a third HDD would not take too much power from the system to run it.

I'm wondering if the drive itself is the cause?

Are you gaming while the freezes occur, or anything else specific? Too many browser tabs open or something?

I would also look in the Event Viewer and see if there are any issues reported. You can google the findings to get a more complete idea of the error.

Good luck. Let us know if you have other issues. 🙂

HP Recommended

The error is inconsistent and can come while idle and under load. I never game with browsers up so I doubt that.

looking at event viewer about 20 things pop up. The one that stands out the most to my untrained eye is error code 157 where it says disk 3-4-5-6-7has unexpectedly disappeared 

ill do some googling and see what the others mean

HP Recommended

OK,I assume your original drive has never been wiped and clean installed with Windows, correct?

If still original, all the partitions are still there.

If so...

Not sure if that new drive will be detected, but try this anyway.

Reboot the PC, but rapidly tap the F2 key immediately until the UEFI Diagnostics menu appears.

Go to component tests, Hard drive tests and run the short test first.

If nothing is found, run the long test.

Does it find any errors?

HP How to use Diagnostics

HP Recommended

I did that this morning and nothing showed up. 
should I send you a list of all my errors that show up in event viewer?

HP Recommended

okay ill pm

HP Recommended

i have a feeling i have a lot of work ahead of me >.<

HP Recommended

Sure, Ill take a look when I can. No guarantees, but perhaps I can find something.

Save the Event Viewer and send it to me in a PM attachment.

How to save an event log..

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/Saving-the-Windows-System-Event-Viewer-Log-760/#O...)

or

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/302542/how-to-diagnose-system-problems-with-event-viewer-in...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.