Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Obelisk desktop

I am having trouble figuring out how to install a 120mm Corsair fan in the top of the case of an Omen Obelisk desktop. I have not been able to find any specific instructions on where or how it mounts, aside from the roof of the case.

Per the HP website there is a mounting bracket for a fan at that location but I do not see one. I only see a metal piece screwed to the roof that only has four holes in it that look like "+" signs. The Best Buy tech told me the fan does not mount to that because the air cannot flow through it but he was not sure where the fan does go.

Do I take the metal piece with the "+" signs out and intall it there? If so, how? I took it off and see no holes to use to mount the fan.

Per the HP site, "There is an integrated mounting area for an additional aftermarket 120 mm fan or aftermarket 120 mm liquid-cooled radiator." Where is this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

View of the inner ceiling of the computer.View of the inner ceiling of the computer.A closer view at the inner top of the case.A closer view at the inner top of the case.Another close up of the inner top. I couldn't see how a fan installed here to blow air throughAnother close up of the inner top. I couldn't see how a fan installed here to blow air throughTurns out the pieces in the mount pop out to allow air to blow throughTurns out the pieces in the mount pop out to allow air to blow throughThe end result. The fan is installed. Quite easily once I figured out the pieces popped out of the mountThe end result. The fan is installed. Quite easily once I figured out the pieces popped out of the mount

As you can see in the pics above, I figured it out. It was pretty obvious but heck, after you figure something out, it's always obvious.

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forum @mesiahh

Sometimes you remove the rear exhaust fan and mount the fan there???

I am not sure on the " Obelisk "

Let me see if I can find some other info:

Could you post a few pics of the inside back of the case???

REO

HP Recommended

@mesiahh

To better assist you, the members will need the exact model number or product number of your laptop/desktop???

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

REO

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY SERIAL NUMBERS

HP Recommended

Hey Reo. It is model 875-0014. I will try to get some pictures up this evening. Thanks for the help

HP Recommended

View of the inner ceiling of the computer.View of the inner ceiling of the computer.A closer view at the inner top of the case.A closer view at the inner top of the case.Another close up of the inner top. I couldn't see how a fan installed here to blow air throughAnother close up of the inner top. I couldn't see how a fan installed here to blow air throughTurns out the pieces in the mount pop out to allow air to blow throughTurns out the pieces in the mount pop out to allow air to blow throughThe end result. The fan is installed. Quite easily once I figured out the pieces popped out of the mountThe end result. The fan is installed. Quite easily once I figured out the pieces popped out of the mount

As you can see in the pics above, I figured it out. It was pretty obvious but heck, after you figure something out, it's always obvious.

HP Recommended

I'm looking to do the same thing as I'm new to this and weary about putting in a liquid cooling system. Have you noticed a drop in temps that are worth adding the 120mm fan?

HP Recommended

After using the computer for around 8 months I now recommend not worrying about adding a fan. There are many threads concerned about heat with the Omen but the computer does not run hotter than the engineers designed it to handle.

The system  was designed to run in an expected hear range and it does just that. As long as you don’t “overclock” the system by rigging it to run beyond its limits, you have nothing to worry about. 

And to answer your question no, I saw no decrease in the temperates after adding the 120 fan. I was very concerned about the heat after buying the Omen and reading threads but found it is just paranoia. The system runs great off the shelf. The graphics and speed are amazing and no heat issues

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply! I was running 85-90c on Witcher and I didn't want to burn out, that's how I found your post. I did end up getting two fans yesterday from Best Buy on sale and I put one where you did and one sitting at the bottom at the bottom vent. I have noticed a drop in temperature by 10 degrees, but it's good to know you haven't had any issues! May decide not to do liquid cooling in this model until I build my own.

HP Recommended

I am planning on doing a little bit of overclocking and I want my temps to stay below 80 C. So where do you plug in the fan onto the motherboard. Is it the one that says LC pump?

HP Recommended

I had the same question when I installed mine. Yes, it is the one that says LC pump. The photo posts on here sideways. It is the LC pump outlet below the roof in the case. Just above the graphics card fan

IMG_5453.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.