Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 17-cb0900nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an OMEN 17-cb0900nz from the HP Online Store in December 2019. It worked fine until February 2020.

Now I am unable to select a screen resolution. The selection in the drop-down is greyed out, showing 1920 x 1080, whereby I have a 4K screen and previously I was able to select among many resolutions.

When I try to start the NVIDIA Control Panel, I get pop-up dialog with the message that "NVIDIA display settings are not available. An NVIDIA graphics card was not detected in your system."

I was first alerted to the issue when I was unable to get an external display to work anymore. That is first symptom which caused me to investigate. For completeness The display is a 4K TV connected via HDMI cable to a G2 docking station, connected to the laptop via Thunderbolt. But again, that is just one of the symptoms, the problem is not seeing the NVIDIA graphics chip.

I already tried all of the following:
- Windows update.
- Going back to a restore point.
- Installing video driver for Windows 10 from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-17-cb0000-laptop-pc/26122176/model/29377...
- Checking the device drivers to see if there are any yellow flags.
- Unplugging cables, powering down, restarting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was able to get the NVIDIA device recognized again using a Windows reset.

• I restarted the laptop and clicked the F11 key several times as it was restarting.
  • The screen with the repair options appeared.
  • I choose to reset Windows.
  • I choose to kept my personal files.
  • Note: as per the warning, all applications separately installed by me (Citrix, Firefox, Planetside2, Logitech software for mouse and keyboard) were lost. What remained was my Microsoft user account and Wi-Fi password.
  • It took maybe half an hour to copy the installation files from non-volatile memory, then do the Windows installation, which included a couple of automatic reboots.
  • I logged into Windows, went immediately to the Windows Update Settings, and paused the Windows updates for 7 days. Just to be extra safe, I disabled the Wi-Fi.
  • At this point, the system had installed NVIDIA audio drivers, but the NVIDIA display adapter was not yet visible in the Device Manager. There was however an unknown device showing under Others, which was something new.
  • Windows didn't seem able to proceed further without an Internet connection, so I re-enabled the Wi-Fi.
  • Windows then offered to download software for my Logitech devices, which I allowed. I had the Unifying adapter plugged into one of the USB-A ports which is probably what triggered that. I connected the devices via Blutooth.
  • Windows then automatically found and installed the drivers for the NVIDIA graphics chip, including the NVIDIA Control Panel. At that point, I could see the NVIDIA device in the Device Manager again, I could select other display resolutions, and the NVIDIA Control Panel worked normally.

What this tells me is that there is some Windows Update, or possibly some other update, such as one from HP, in the last week or so (end of January 2020 to beginning of February 2020) that either automatically was installed, or I was prompted and accepted, which broke the video driver, badly. At that point, reinstalling the video driver did not help any more. It might be that the PCI bus through with the mobile video card is connected was affected, maybe a hardware address in the registry, but in any case, something not easy to find and fix.

HP needs to investigate this, try to replicate the issue, and figure out which update is causing the trouble, because it is sure to happen to many other owners of HP laptops with NVIDIA graphics cards.

My plan is to keep all automatic updates turned off, install updates one at a time, and try to see which one causes the trouble, at which point I will report back and post my findings. But of course that means that I'll have to reset Windows again and reinstall all my software again.

In case this might be an issue, I did buy also a HP G2 Docking Station, and when that is first plugged into the Thunderbolt port, that triggers some drivers being installed, for both the laptop and the docking station. The docking station worked fine for some weeks before this issue with the NVIDIA device occurred, and I had been able to connect a 4K TV using both Dport and UBS-C to HDMI cables, as well as directly to the HDMI port on the laptop. So it wasn't the docking station which caused the trouble, but I cannot exclude that there is some constellation of device drivers with other Windows updates involved, so I include this information for completeness. One other user sent me a message after having had a similar experience to mine and didn't mention any other hardware.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello
In the device manager, the graphics card is therefore not present at all?
When you try to update the driver from the Hp page, is there an error message, does the driver install or not?
Testing for Hardware Failures

follow the document and make all the tests

give the result here

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes, currently in the Device Manager, under Display adapters, the NVIDIA device is not seen at all.

Previously I saw it greyed out when I used the view option to show hidden devices.

I am able to successfully install the drivers from the device driver page for my laptop model. I tried both drivers that were listed. One is labelled for Windows 10, the other is not labelled. When I tried to install the one that is not labelled (but which had a newer date by a few months), I got an error message at the end that the driver was not the right one. When I installed the one labelled for Windows 10, it was successful, no warnings or error message.

After reinstalling the driver didn't help, I tried removing the hidden device in the Device Manager. I was hoping that on a shutdown and restart, Windows would see the NVIDIA device as a new device and automatically reinstall it. That did not happen. Now it is not seen in the Device Manager at all.

HP Recommended

@Illuminknotty20
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 

The last thing I can suggest restoring the system back to the factory settings. Performing an HP system recovery (Windows ) While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was able to get the NVIDIA device recognized again using a Windows reset.

• I restarted the laptop and clicked the F11 key several times as it was restarting.
  • The screen with the repair options appeared.
  • I choose to reset Windows.
  • I choose to kept my personal files.
  • Note: as per the warning, all applications separately installed by me (Citrix, Firefox, Planetside2, Logitech software for mouse and keyboard) were lost. What remained was my Microsoft user account and Wi-Fi password.
  • It took maybe half an hour to copy the installation files from non-volatile memory, then do the Windows installation, which included a couple of automatic reboots.
  • I logged into Windows, went immediately to the Windows Update Settings, and paused the Windows updates for 7 days. Just to be extra safe, I disabled the Wi-Fi.
  • At this point, the system had installed NVIDIA audio drivers, but the NVIDIA display adapter was not yet visible in the Device Manager. There was however an unknown device showing under Others, which was something new.
  • Windows didn't seem able to proceed further without an Internet connection, so I re-enabled the Wi-Fi.
  • Windows then offered to download software for my Logitech devices, which I allowed. I had the Unifying adapter plugged into one of the USB-A ports which is probably what triggered that. I connected the devices via Blutooth.
  • Windows then automatically found and installed the drivers for the NVIDIA graphics chip, including the NVIDIA Control Panel. At that point, I could see the NVIDIA device in the Device Manager again, I could select other display resolutions, and the NVIDIA Control Panel worked normally.

What this tells me is that there is some Windows Update, or possibly some other update, such as one from HP, in the last week or so (end of January 2020 to beginning of February 2020) that either automatically was installed, or I was prompted and accepted, which broke the video driver, badly. At that point, reinstalling the video driver did not help any more. It might be that the PCI bus through with the mobile video card is connected was affected, maybe a hardware address in the registry, but in any case, something not easy to find and fix.

HP needs to investigate this, try to replicate the issue, and figure out which update is causing the trouble, because it is sure to happen to many other owners of HP laptops with NVIDIA graphics cards.

My plan is to keep all automatic updates turned off, install updates one at a time, and try to see which one causes the trouble, at which point I will report back and post my findings. But of course that means that I'll have to reset Windows again and reinstall all my software again.

In case this might be an issue, I did buy also a HP G2 Docking Station, and when that is first plugged into the Thunderbolt port, that triggers some drivers being installed, for both the laptop and the docking station. The docking station worked fine for some weeks before this issue with the NVIDIA device occurred, and I had been able to connect a 4K TV using both Dport and UBS-C to HDMI cables, as well as directly to the HDMI port on the laptop. So it wasn't the docking station which caused the trouble, but I cannot exclude that there is some constellation of device drivers with other Windows updates involved, so I include this information for completeness. One other user sent me a message after having had a similar experience to mine and didn't mention any other hardware.

HP Recommended

@Illuminknotty20
Thank you for posting back. 

Apologize for the inconvenience caused and I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue.

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.