Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen ax230nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello to All,

I have a 15" Omen ax230nf since 2017 and decided to boost the laptop by adding a SSD in the empty M.2 slot and to use the original 1 TB HDD as pure data storage without any OS installed onto it.

The SSD is a PNY CS3030 500GB.

What I did is clone HDD to SSD with Macrium the partitions I thought to be useful, which are:

- the boot section

- Windows C:

- HP recovery tool section

- Windows recovery tool section.

I did not clone the RECOVERY D : partition which contained the setup files of W10. This is lost.

After cloning, I managed to restart the laptop from the SSD (impressive how fast W10 booted!). A small Powershell performance test rated the SSD at 3000 MB/s for reading.

During this session, I erased the HDD content using CMD and DISKPART. I took care of not erasing the SSD lol

After restarting, the thing is only showing me the blue screen of the dead (scaring me to that same level) with 0xc000000e error code.

I am a bit worried about the situation, as I would prefer not reinstalling W10 and every software...

Can you please help me?

My guess is that it should not be too bad, because the laptop has managed to start from SSD once, so the boot sequence must exist and maybe some bad operations have been made on the BIOS setup?

Thank you very much for you help,

Best regards,

MB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MatthieuB1 That's awesome, I'm glad its been sorted,

That said, to clarify the HP recovery media does offer an option to backup data and yes, you can make use of an external storage to create a backup that can be restored later, once the OS is reinstalled using the same HP recovery media (if need be).

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MatthieuB1 Blue screen of the dead, reminded me of the walking dead!

Let's all hope that's not where the pandemic is taking us! #my_nightmare 😛

Jokes apart, I hate being the grim reaper (bearer of bad news) but HP does not support or recommend cloning as certain software preinstalled via HP and their build ID's are encrypted, cloning wouldn't work in such scenarios, causing issues as the one you've encountered, for best results with this route, I personally recommend contacting a local tech for assistance.

If they can't help, perhaps, they can assist you with data backup onto an external storage device and then you could make use of the HP recovery media:

If you don't have an HP Recovery media, you'll need to order one: Click here for steps 

Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

For details on how to perform a successful reset: click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_decipher,

I have not contacted local support yet...

I tried to built a windows media on a USB stick and tried repairing the Windows setup but it failed.

My intention is that I will get a backup storage device asap and will connect to my PC with bootable linux/live USB to store everything first on this backup.

And then I am still puzzled between trying HP recovery media solution or try to do a clean brand new install of W10. The first will oblige me to stay with HP encryption, if I understand well? It means that if I change again the Windows OS location with a newer SSD, I will face exactly the same problem.

The second solution will avoid any problem with cloning, as far as I understand, right?

I have an unused W10 license to do this.

thanks again for your help.

BR,

Matthieu

HP Recommended

@MatthieuB1 Ideally, if you replace the HDD with an SSD, and use the HP Recovery media, it should work, as long as the storage capacity of the SSD is as tested by HP to work on your device: click here to find more details on the HP Maintenance and service guide.

HP Recovery media would delete any existing partitions, re-create it as per HP standards, reinstall the HP licensed OS back on it, along with software/driver that the device was originally shipped with.

And as I mentioned before, HP does not support cloning, so I can't comment on its usage, and we don't support using Linux either, you could use it at your own discretion though.

I hope that helps!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good evening Riddle_Decipher and thank you again for your support.

The Linux solution was just transitory, so that I could save properly every important folder.

So finally I managed to do so, and inserted a Windows Media USB created according to the Media creation tool from MS.

W10 has been installed without flaw onto the 512GB SSD (it was declared as possible in the user manual you have given, my laptop is the one with a 1050 GTX graphic card). So it is a single partition onto C: (SSD) and a single one onto 😧 (Data=1TB HDD).

So in a nutshell, if I am not wrong, if someone wants to simplify the process following HP’s recommendations, the user should backup his original HDD using HP recovery media onto a third storage device. After that, he can disconnect the former HDD, connect his SSD and import the data using the backup, right?

The other solution is the one I followed, and that is because I erased the original partitions and could not perform again a backup from HP’s software: to install everything from scratch (W10 and all the software lost) or using a backup that has been made previously...

Thank you again, the laptop is running faster than ever, I was worried about some compatibility issue but there is none!

BR

Matthieu

HP Recommended

@MatthieuB1 That's awesome, I'm glad its been sorted,

That said, to clarify the HP recovery media does offer an option to backup data and yes, you can make use of an external storage to create a backup that can be restored later, once the OS is reinstalled using the same HP recovery media (if need be).

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.