Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0029no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My day was ruined when I sat down after a long day, I was just gonna play some Sims 4. A game that isn't demanding at all that my laptop runs on max settings and has been since i bought it. But now it lags so much that it's barely playable. I just played it this morning before heading out for brunch and it worked fine. Now when i come home I can't play it. I tried my other game Hell Let Loose and I didn't start a match because I noticed the main menu worked poorly, delayed mouse, stuttering, overall laggy.

I'm new to computers, this is my first one that I own myself. So I don't understand much of performance numbers and RAM and what all that means. But I know that it's all been running smoothly before today, and that the games I own were what this laptop could handle. 

Is my computer broken? I've tried updating graphic card drivers but they were at the latest update(as expected).

I don't understand what to do, I feel lost and honestly very anxious that my brand new expensive computer just started acting like this so soon after I bought it.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @NoahLamberg

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the performance issue.

Please try these steps to update the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Also, try updating the BIOS - HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There were no available updates, I had all the latest ones

HP Recommended

Appreciate you trying the steps @NoahLamberg

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue.

Thanks!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I looked at the specs of this thing and saw it has a GTX 1660ti, right? There might be a setting you haven't looked at in NVidia control panel.

You can get to it by right clicking your desktop and with the Nvidia logo, the control panel should be there.

Some laptops come with what's called Optimus or Enduro (switchable graphics) and it's for battery life and performance. So, Sims 4 runs flawlessly on the Vega in the Ryzen, while Hell Let Loose is using that one and is running badly when it shouldn't. It needs to run from the dedicated GPU.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.