Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-dh0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every time I try to play an online game via Steam (like Elder Scrolls Online, Farm Together, The Isle) the internet drops on my laptop until I close the game and then it comes back. Comcast says it's not on their end. HP won't even look at my issue and tells me to contact Steam.

When the problem occurs the Event viewer says:
Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.
The network interface "Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 2 time(s) since it was last initialized.
Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

I have tried restarting the router, I have tried installing new drivers, I have tried restarting the computer, etc. I have done a lot and nothing is resolving this and it feels like no one wants to even try and help with these support people.

I am hoping someone here has some kind of idea what might be going on here and what I can do or try to resolve this problem? Any help is super appreciated.

Edit: Basically HP is telling me...
Technically I would suggest you to check with the Steam team as HP hardware and drivers are working fine with all other apps, The error which you are looking in Event manager, are the log files created when Steam app games are launched.
If there is an issue with wifi card, it will definitely happen on other apps as well as a defective wireless card cannot choose to work with few applications and reject the others hence we can safely conclude that it is not an issue with your ISP or computer

How do they know it is working fine when they have not looked at anything on my system or connected remotely?

Update: I just tried Sea of Thieves on X-box PC game pass which is another multiplayer game and it is giving me the same issues so it can't be the steam client can it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Generally your router will put out both signals already. You choose the channel to connect to from your PC. Each will be displayed as what ever name you setup each network as.

IF you only see the 2.4 network, the 5GHz network might not be enabled? You will have to go into the router to see.

To do this, you will have to log in to the router to make the changes.

Each router is different so you will have to research how.

If you don't know how to access it and it is supplied by Comcast, they will help you access it if you are the admin.

Also (may or may not help), go to your Device manager in windows and expand the network adapters.

Right click on the Intel wireless card and go to Properties.

Advanced Tab.

Highlight the 2.4GHz channel and change the value from Auto to 20MHz Only.

Same for the 5GHz channel.

wifi properties.JPG

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello @Seattleite 

Not sure I can help, just curious. Is this happening on only the 5GHz frequency or 2.4?

HP Recommended

I believe the router I have from Comcast uses both, but it is labeled as 2.4 on the network name.

Voice and Data Modem

Technicolor CGM4140COM

HP Recommended

I just tested... this is what works vs what doesn't work:

Works:
Browser stuff like twitch, e-mail social media, facebook streaming, etc

Twitch desktop app

Spotify desktop app

Netflix windows store app

What doesn't work:
Games via XBox PC game pass and Steam client

HP Recommended

Very strange.

If you use the 5 GHz channel instead, does it make any difference?

HP Recommended

There isn't a way that I know of to switch, the router just chooses whichever one is better at the moment.

HP Recommended

Generally your router will put out both signals already. You choose the channel to connect to from your PC. Each will be displayed as what ever name you setup each network as.

IF you only see the 2.4 network, the 5GHz network might not be enabled? You will have to go into the router to see.

To do this, you will have to log in to the router to make the changes.

Each router is different so you will have to research how.

If you don't know how to access it and it is supplied by Comcast, they will help you access it if you are the admin.

Also (may or may not help), go to your Device manager in windows and expand the network adapters.

Right click on the Intel wireless card and go to Properties.

Advanced Tab.

Highlight the 2.4GHz channel and change the value from Auto to 20MHz Only.

Same for the 5GHz channel.

wifi properties.JPG

HP Recommended

Mine looks totally different from that.

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

HP Recommended

No, go down to Channel Width and set it there like in my photo.

Here...

Capture.JPG

Also just to make sure, your computer isn't setup to run a VPN and Steam is going through it by chance?

That has been known to affect gaming sometimes.

HP Recommended

I do not own any VPN stuff unless somehow the Brave browser is doing it or my anti-virus, but I don't think so.

Oh hey what the heck! Changing those options has gotten me logged into the game! How/why? Is this a temporary or permanent fix? Will it slow other things down?

I am getting a new router from Comcast on Monday, will I have to change those values back when I do get it? Will the new router also potentially fix whatever this problem was?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.