Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN15-en0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I'm having an issue when trying to connect an external monitor to my Omen 15 laptop. I'm currently using an HDMI cable connected to an ACER 144Hz 1080p monitor, but in my NVIDIA control panel and advanced display settings, I do not get an option to change the refresh rate to 144Hz, it's capped at 60Hz. The refresh rate of this Omen 15 laptop's screen is 60Hz, but that shouldn't limit the refresh rate that can be output on an external monitor. I can't figure out how to fix the issue. I tried to manually force the refresh rate to 144Hz in the NVIDIA control panel settings, but it caused major artifacting on my screen, so I'm starting to think its a computer issue.

Does the OMEN 15-en0xxx support an external 144Hz display? I really don't see why it wouldn't work since it has a GTX 1660 TI. I haven't tried using the DVI port yet since I don't have a proper cable for it, but I don't want to buy something I might not need.

Below are the specs for my particular model:

OMEN by HP Laptop 15-en0xxx 15.6 inch, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the solution: the HDMI port on the ACER GN246HL monitor only supports 60Hz, while the DVI port supports 144Hz (which is kinda dumb). Thanks for the quick answer though, really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MglTeodoro 

What is your OMEN15-en0xxx  ? For example

OMEN Laptop - 15-en0013dx

Your machine probably has same HDMI 2.0a port which supports 4K monitor @ 60Hz. Normal rule is refresh rate goes up resolution will go down and vise versa therefore you should get 1920 x 1080 @ 120Hz.

Do you use the right HDMI version 2.0 cable ? Does your monitor have DP port ? If yes, you can use miniDP port to the monitor or you can try miniDP to HDMI 2.0 cable.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply,

It's an Omen 15-en0010ca. I'm currently using a 2.0 HDMI cable.

HP Recommended

I found the solution: the HDMI port on the ACER GN246HL monitor only supports 60Hz, while the DVI port supports 144Hz (which is kinda dumb). Thanks for the quick answer though, really appreciate it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.