Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
15-ek0013dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Last week I bought HP OMEN 15, 2020 model 15-ek0013dx. I want to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. My laptop has a 512GB NVMe. I created 100GB free space by shrinking windows partition. Installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. But I don't see the GRUB menu at startup. I tried EasyBCD to add Ubuntu entry but getting error "EFI mode is present on the laptop so can't add Ubuntu entry using Easy BCD".

Anyone did dual boot on Hp OEM 15 2020 laptop? I bought this laptop to install Ubuntu for DL/ML work due to RTX2060 GPU. If I can't install Ubuntu then I will return it.   

I also contacted Hp support but they said they can't support Ubuntu installation.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Have you try Disabling Secure Boot for just testing purposes?

Also some laptops requires you to Boot to windows first then do the following :

1. Press and hold Shift (DON'T RELEASE)

2. Restart (DON'T RELEASE SHIFT)

3. You'll enter to Troubleshooting screen 

4. Boot from device 

5. Select Ubuntu.

I had to do this steps on my Lenovo laptop every time I wanted to use Ubuntu.

Also I haven't run it in dual boot  but I did booted LTS 19.04  took several minutes to boot compared to my previous laptop thou. 

HP Recommended

I am thinking it may be something as simple as that it  may need to be on a different NVMe for the boot loader to work properly?

If you buy from somewhere like amazon you could test it and if it doesn't work then return it

I have another windows installation on a second drive in my EK and I get the choice of windows installations at boot time. 

This is not using EasyBCD although I have used it in the past, for win10 I don't need to now.

I have never used ubuntu so have nothing specific to that.

I got a 1TB for my main installation and use the original one for the work orientated win10 image, so I can keep my work and my own stuff independent.

These drives absolutely fly, I got an Samsung 970 EVO Plus, comparable to the stock one. Would recommend, speeds below.

drives.JPG

HP Recommended

I had a lot of problems trying to install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, notably with booting the installed OS.

The key to making it work was to disable the "Intel Optane" cache drive.  You can do this either in Windows (how I did it) or in the BIOS.  Then, boot from the install media and install Ubuntu again, making sure you pick the main 512GB drive as the "boot drive" in the installation.  

It seems that the Intel Optane stuff caches data from the other drive.  Windows and the BIOS can see that cache, but Linux can't.  So, when the Linux installation writes to EFI partition on the main SSD, the Optane cache data doesn't get updated, and so the BIOS doesn't see the additions that the installation put there.  

After disabling the Optane memory and doing a reinstallation, Ubuntu booted right up, and I've got pretty much everything working--NVIDIA graphics, sound, WiFi.

Best of luck!

HP Recommended

Is this true wrt the Ryzen 7 too? Or is it not possible at all with the Ryzen?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.