Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP omen 15-dc0111tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys i want to know if the temperatures on my hp omen are normal or not?

Temperature

• HWmonitor shows that my package temperature for the CPU is 61 degrees - 97 degrees max.
  • Im not sure if this is load or idle because i just have my browser, steam, hwmonitor and hp omen command center opened.
  • The room temperature is 26 degrees.

Questions

• will opening my laptop to clean it void my warranty? 
  • is it possible that a factory reset may help?
  • will repasting void warranty if i call hp to guide me on how to repaste my laptop?

Minor issues

• battery shows 255% and has a cross but when i unplug the ac adapter it doesnt turn off and i think it fixes it self after a few minutes but it is confirmed to be fixed when restarting laptop until the issue might occur again.

Gaming

• CPU temps can reach 98 degrees when playing gta v , doom eternal and other titles with intense graphics
  • CPU package temperature fluctuates 86- 96 degrees max package temp shows 100 degrees
  • usually gpu can reach 80 degrees when gaming 
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Check and benchmark performance

If your game has an FPS readout (you will need to enable this somewhere in the options, or install a third-party utility such as you'll be able to see how fast it's running. The minimum figure (on average) that you want is 30 frames per second, though many gamers strive for 60fps or even more when equipped with a 144Hz monitor.

The fps will vary depending on what's happening on-screen. When there's lots of action, it can drop considerably, so aim for graphical settings at which the game will run acceptably when that happens.

Overclock your hardware

This isn't something we recommend for everyone, but if you know what you're doing and understand that there's a risk of breaking your graphics card, CPU, and RAM, you can run them faster. This should give you a few extra fps.

Your first port of call should be the graphics card, since this has the most direct impact on fps. You may find an option to in the driver itself (launch the interface from the relevant icon in the Windows Notification area). Alternatively, you might need to track down third-party software.

and RAM is easier, as you should find the settings in your PC's BIOS. Simply reboot, press Delete (or whichever key takes you to the BIOS) and look for the performance settings.

Use optimisation software

Lots of programs run in the background in Windows, and they use up resources including memory and CPU time. You can use PC optimisation utilities to ensure there are no superfluous processes running that could hamper game performance. You can also clear out temporary files and defragment your hard drive (don't do this on an SSD though).

Windows includes some optimisation tools, but you can also try  which does a lot of the hard work for you, and is compatible with Windows 7, 8, and 10.

If you have Windows 10, you should make sure to install the released back in April 2017. This includes a Game Mode feature, which prioritises your computer's resources on whatever game you're playing, delegating background tasks to specific CPU cores for an overall performance boost.

HP Recommended

The fps i get in my games are fine it seems that this is more towards my cpu and how it turbos to 3.9ghz when i play a game. I dont think its thermal throttling too much but i definitely think its really hot like 97 degrees in Grand theft auto v high/ultra is not normal. Btw game mode is available on the latest windows 10 build and possibly above the ones u mentioned. 

HP Recommended

Having a fan control feature enabled in the bios and omen control center might actually fix this issue I hope they do a bios update for my laptop with this feature because its really important for cooling the cpu when gaming and other intensive applications. 

HP Recommended

Im having same issues with my hp omen as well. I agree they should allow fan control.

HP Recommended

I think there is a design flaw in hp omens. The heat on the gpu is directed towards the cpu which is the main reason why it runs so hot. I think they should just give fan control to the users. 

HP Recommended

Personally I would suggest using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (here) to monitor your computer stats. You will see the temperature of the CPU, memory utilization, thermal throttling etc. from a range of 1 min to 1 hour.

I would suggest you manually turn on Steam rather than start up, reduces the load on the laptop.

I'll go on a whim here and refer to this support thread (here) which says that opening your laptop is fine as long as you don't cause some component to get screwed (for a lack of better term)  or replace some component because then that nullifies your warranty. Check your warranty status on the support website (HP Support > Notebooks > Enter Model Number or Serial Number [do not post your serial number here] > Check Warranty Information)

Furthermore I would suggest you install the HP Driver and Support Assistant (here) for more info on drivers that need updating or warranty information etc. all in one place. 

Your Laptop's User Guide (here)

Your Laptop's Maintenance and Service Guide (here)

I won't comment on repasting as I'm not sure of that myself. 

For your battery issue, test your battery through the support assistant for battery life cycles and max charging capacity (255% bro is your laptop on drugs) 

Temperatures are very obviously bad, they shouldn't be that high but since it is a gaming laptop it is reasonable. Personally I would suggest a cooling pad or repasting but do not do this without verifying it is within your warranty. 

--YOUR WARRANTY MAY ALLOW SELF REPAIR OR GUIDANCE FROM HP, PLEASE VERIFY ON THE SUPPORT PAGE--

Your BIOS appears to be up-to-date so I'd say that's one step down. Let me know how it goes!

Best Regards,

-Shepherd-

--
Hit the Thumbs Up button (Kudos!) if you'd like to show that you agree with a post.
If a post has answered your query, mark it as 'Accepted Solution' to help others with the same query!
HP Recommended

I bought Hp omen dc0030nr one day ago and after using it for a few hours the HP Omen command center stop loading. I have done all the updates through Microsoft Windows updates Hp Support Assistant Nvidia GeForce Experience updates Every time I turn on my laptop the warning messages pops up which states unable to launch omen command center check Microsoft store and I have the option of copy to clipboard and close. I have also installed and uninstalled it several times but the issue remains. I have even downloaded its SDK file form HP drivers website which showed specifically my laptop drivers but still, issues remain. Now I am kind of frustrated that I have bought a new laptop worth $1500 and this is happening. One thing I know is that it is something to do with the update because after the first batch of windows update its stopped working.

Thanks

iMessage Online

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.