Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop PC - 17-w033
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am a programmer in an IT company. I have purchased a HP Omen notebook in November 2016. My objective of using this notebook is not for games. It has the best hardware configuration, so it should allow me to program faster. I have not installed any gaming software but I have Office 2010, Adobe Animate CC 2017, Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 and notepad++ installed.

Sometime the notebook freezes completely while running. Even the mouse pointer freezes. Each time this happens, I have to manually reboot the notebook by long pressing the power button. This occurs randomly once in 2-3 days. Sometime it happened twice in a day.

Also did a System Extensive Test (attached the result below) and seems that everything is good.

Please suggest any help.

Thanks in advance.

System Extensive Test

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @Govinda3, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that your PC freezes while running.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

As you mentioned that the mouse pointer freezes and you have to manually reboot the PC to get it working.

Please update the BIOS to the latest version and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi! @Govinda3, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that your PC freezes while running.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

As you mentioned that the mouse pointer freezes and you have to manually reboot the PC to get it working.

Please update the BIOS to the latest version and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks @MrRobot.

This solved the issue.

🙂

HP Recommended

Hi! @Govinda3! You're welcome and thanks for the reply,

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,            

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have had the same problem with the touchpad and mouse freezing.  This has been ongoing since I bought the laptop new back in December 2016.  I too have to manually poweroff and then it works ok - for a while.  The freezing is random a couple times a day, some times its ok for 2-3 days.  Totally random.  I have contacted HP Chat Support three times.  Three different techs.  Still no fix.  Techs have updated the bios, updated windows 10, cleaned all temp files, etc.  and still the same problem.  Once it freezes I can not do anything with the laptop so I can't tell what software conflicts might be causing the problem.  New batteries in the wireless mouse.....same random problem.  Techs have run a system test and all was OK.  How can that be.  Last tech wanted me to do a system restore back to when the laptop was NEW.  The problem has been happening since the laptop was NEW.  How was that going to help.

I am getting very frustrated with the laptop and HP caht support.  The laptop is still under warranty until December and I also have an extended warranty from Costco for another year.  The last tech kept offering me a fee based system recovery and restore.  Why would I pay more if the laptop is still under warranty ?

ANY IDEAS OR HELP ?????

HP Recommended

@johnfrommaine

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you're facing an issue with the touchpad of your HP laptop. I read that the touchpad freezes randomly and this issue has been there since day 1. You seem to face the same issue with an external mouse. You have already contacted HP Chat support and have performed a BIOS update, etc. But the issue persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• The exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • What operating system are you using?
  • By saying a mouse, do you actually mean an external USB Mouse also freezes when connected to your laptop?
  • Does the touchpad freeze at a particular application or does not matter what you're doing, t still freezes?

Meanwhile, let us run a hardware test on the touchpad. NOTE: Please ignore the steps if you have already tried them before:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

Figure : HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

Figure : Component Tests options

List of the Component tests

• Mouse/Touchpad - There are 2 mouse tests to determine if the mouse is functioning correctly - the Pointer Test and the Drag and Drop Test. Click Mouse/Touchpad, then select the test you want to run and follow the instructions.
    NOTE: Bluetooth devices are not currently supported.

If the hardware test fails then I suggest you to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your HP laptop. 

Please free to let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• The exact product model no.  - WOP31AV
  • What operating system are you using - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • By saying a mouse, do you actually mean an external USB Mouse also freezes when connected to your laptop - Yes, a USB wireless mouse.  When the cursor freezes both the mouse and the touch-pad do not function.  The only solution is to power off the laptop, restart the laptop and then everything works OK.  This occurs randomly, 1-2 times per day, once every 2-3 days, etc.
  • Does the touchpad freeze at a particular application or does not matter what you're doing, t still freezes - It does not matter what I am doing.  Sometimes when I'm using the internet, sometimes when I'm doing an application (MS Word, or Excel, or another program, etc.).  Sometimes it freezes if I'm not doing anything.  For example, surfing the internet and then I walk away for  a few minutes and when I return the cursor is frozen - no mouse or touch-pad function.

I have  completed the F2 system & hardware tests, both extensive and quick and everything comes back as OK.

The random freezing occurs regardless of which of the three USB ports for the wireless mouse (Logitech) is plugged-into.

Please advise if there are other means of testing or solutions.  Todate, I am very disappointed in the HP product and support.  his was not an inexpensive notebok and has had this problem from the beginning.  After three HP Chat tech's tries, there is still no solution.

HP Recommended

@johnfrommaine

Thanks for replying with the information. 🙂

I'm glad to know that the tests passed. One last ting I would like you to test now is: how is the performance of the touchpad if the wireless mouse is disconnected from the laptop?

Let me know. Cheers! 

HP Recommended

When the laptop freezes the cursor is frozen in place - no movement.  So both the external (wireless) mouse and the touch-pad do not respond.  If I remove the USB external mouse adapter the touch-pad still does not function.  Again, once the cursor is frozen nothing else works.  Pressing the keyboard keys does nothing.  Touching the screen (touch screen) does nothing.  The only thing that will function is pressing the power button, turning off the laptop and then restarting it.  Then everything works normally.

HP Recommended

@johnfrommaine

It might be that the laptop itself is freezing and not the touchpad/mouse in particular. 

Because if the touchpad or the external mouse freeze, then at least the keyboard has to respond. But in this case, the entire laptop is frozen.

Could you initiated a hard drive, memory, processor and a system board test and let me know the results please?

List of the Component tests

If the all the tests pass then let us perform a Windows refresh (repair). This will fix any issue with the corrupt files of the Windows operating system. Though the steps are for Win8, they would work for Win10 too. 

Let me know. Thanks! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.