Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! 
I used to play games such as Valorant, League of Legends, and Minecraft and even Warzone on my laptop and I could run up to 60-80+ frames per second on these games. I decided to upgrade my set up with a 165hz external monitor(ASUS VG248QG) and connected my laptop with an HDMI. After connecting to the monitor I have been able to get more fps, 80-144 on Valorant, League and Minecraft. The issue starts when I disconnect my laptop from the monitor. I tried playing these games on laptop mode (plugged in with charger) and they are unplayable. I've tried running League of Legends and it is only running at 5 fps when I'm in game, which is surprising because it is one of the least demanding game I have. Some of my games won't even run anymore from steam. I have also checked if any in-game settings are making it slow or if they are capping the fps, but nothing is.

NOTE: I play with my laptop battery plugged in always.

In short: Before getting an external monitor, my laptop can run games decently. After getting an external monitor my laptop runs games exceedingly well. When my laptop is not connected to a monitor the games don't run well as they used to and some won't even start.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.