Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I've had a HP Omen 15 Laptop for about a year and a half, and all of a sudden the WASD keys backlighting doesn't light up. the rest of the keyboard lights up perfectly, and can still be fully changed through the command center. The WASD keys also work perfectly other than lighting.

I have found similar problems on the forum and followed every single suggested step including:

• Updating BIOS
  • Removing all keyboard devices (including hidden) from device manager
  • Uninstalling command center and reinstalling on windows store
  • Downloading the latest version of HP Hardware Diagnostics 
  • Updating drivers
  • Restoring BIOS default settings in safe start up

I have not downloaded or done anything which I think could effect the keyboard and keyboard lighting, other than BIOS updates which are automatic. The lighting were working fine and then one day they suddenly stopped working.

My laptop is a HP - 15-dc0508na.

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Bump

HP Recommended

I experience EXACTLY the same problem since yesterday. As far as WASD don't even light-up outside the OS, and a UEFI reset doesn't help - I'm quite sure the problem is not the OS / drivers / software. I've tried to change color of backlight in OMEN Control Center numerous times, and in just a few of them WASD LEDs only flickered briefly, but couldn't stay lit.

EDIT: After few days of observations, I found out that WASD LED zone is still working, turning on and off on it's own, still without allowing any user control over the LED behaviour.

Using OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc1015nu / 8BK85EA#AKS / F.16 BIOS

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, and because of what I have been reading lately in this forum is a problem that affects many OMEN owners.

HP Recommended

@Ross_ Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the HP Omen 15 WASD Backlight not working.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Press the Power button, and then immediately press the Esc key repeatedly to open the Startup Menu.

3. Press F10 to open the BIOS settings.

4. Press F5 to load the default settings, and then press F10 to accept the changes.

5. Restart the computer.

6. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

7. Click View, and then select Show hidden devices.

Show hidden devices in Device Manager

8. Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard name, and then click Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.

9. Remove all devices in the Keyboards category, and then restart the computer.

The keyboard should now work correctly.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03738933 to know more about Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi @Praveen196 , thanks for the help

Sadly, I've already tried both of these steps, and tried it again upon you posting it and it doesn't work.

To answer your questions,

I made no changes to the settings prior to the issue,

I made no hardware and no software changes

and regarding a recent window or software update, I honestly have no idea since they are automatic, so quite possibly.

Thanks for you help and sorry for the late response.

HP Recommended

@Ross_ 

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

@Praveen196

I get back just to confirm that none of the solutions suggested has any impact in my case either. Moreover, I've tried to uninstall recent updates (all KBs released since the beginning of April 2020) without any success. To the current date, my WASD LED zone don't light up even randomly anymore, and it's been like that for more then a week. Thank you for your support.

HP Recommended

@jesusl0vesyou

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? HP Support is no use since the warranty is expired

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.