Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0007la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had my notebook for a while and have had very few problems with it so far. A couple of months ago I opened it up to install an M2. SSD, and when I turned it back on, I had a message about cmos being corrupted. Ever since then, my computer is unable to syncronize with time servers.

Here's my computer's specs:

HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0007la

Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz

8GB Samsung 2667MHz x 2 (16GB RAM)

System board: 85FB 42.42

Bios: F.33

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q Design

I've tried multiple solutions including updating the bios, resetting bios configuration, different servers, de-registering time service and back again, etc. and none have ever done the trick. I'm out of warranty + I think I voided it when I upgraded my ssd?

I haven't found any other people online with this problem on this machine, so I'm out of ideas. Does anyone know if there's anything else I could try? Or is my mobo just straight up damaged/faulty?

Thanks for your time.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

As long as you can put the original hard disk and memory modules (if you upgraded them as well) back in the notebook before sending it in for warranty you haven't violated the warranty.

Have you tried putting the original hard disk back in to see if it boots up?

That would have been my first step.

An inability to keep time would be an RTC  (real-time clock) battery failure.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico! Thank you for your quick answer.

I haven't tried installing the original hard disk back, I will, but to be honest I don't quite see how that might help in this situation.

My computer boots and everything works ok EXCEPT for time synchronization. My product is out of warranty.

"An inability to keep time would be an RTC (real-time clock) battery failure."

What does this mean? High level I understand, but do you know if there is a solution to this? Is my battery just faulty and needs replacing?

Thank you for your time!

HP Recommended

It means that the actual RTC battery, which provides power to the BIOS EEPROM chip for settings  retention and RTC (real time clock) clock is in a low voltage state.  It needs to be replaced.

BTW. "My computer boots and everything works ok EXCEPT for time synchronization."  That was not clear to me from your previous post.

I will look up the part number for the battery.  The RTC battery appears to be a standard CR-2032. You can buy those at drug stores and PC repair shops.

HP told me that the RTC battery is integrated (soldered) onto the notebook's system board.  That for me was quite a surprise.  I have no idea as to why they would do that. If I were you I would take a closer look at the system board to find the battery.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.