Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 16-a0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been playing games on my computer, as this is a gaming laptop. However, I am almost automatically reaching high CPU temperatures. I have the computer on a flat surface with no obstruction, and my GPU and CPUs seem to hover around the mid-50*C's whenever I am just using my laptop to surf the web. However, when I open any kind of game, my GPU climbs to the low 70*C's and all cores of my CPU jump immediately to low/mid-80*C's, slowly increasing to 100*C after only a few hours. I am wondering why this gaming computer would reach such high temperatures even though I am taking necessary precautions to prevent this, and I only just bought it in late Summer 2020 (it is now December 29th 2020 as of posting)!

UPDATED JAN. 02 2021: For some context, my previous HP Pavilion laptop was just a computer for school, and DEFINITELY NOT a gaming laptop. I would run the 2005 Battlefront II on it all the time, and it would constantly get hot. Eventually, one day I was gaming for too long, the computer itself felt too hot, and with the sound of a *blink* it was dead. I bought this gaming laptop to continue to use as a laptop and gaming PC. I bought myself an Enhance 5-fan cooling pad to help with the heat, and then tested the pad's ability on full power. I ran Black Ops: Cold War on medium-performance settings and in Windowed mode for about 45 mins so that I could monitor the GPU and CPU package temperatures, and eventually did so with my Oculus Quest 2 connected. I found that during initial startup of the game, the CPU package quickly reached high temperatures (98*C peak and hovered at 90*C very briefly) and remained around the mid-80s for a couple minutes, but once I got into playing the game after about 5 minutes or so, the GPU and CPU package stayed around 66*C and 76*C respectively. The GPU never reached too high of a temperature, and the CPU package varied in a few degrees now and then, pushing it to 81*C for a brief second, even with the Oculus connected. I quit the game after the test, and have only been running Firefox to update this post. Both my GPU and CPU packages are hovering around 41*C currently, and have not varied much since I ended the BOCW test. It is disappointing that a gaming computer itself cannot maintain proper temperatures without the supplemented fan, as I do not want this new computer to completely die on me in a similar fashion that my old one did. But for anyone looking to keep their laptops cool, I highly recommend the Enhance 5-fan cooling pad. It is definitely helping.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

same problem as mine just do this update your bios then do this one 

>right click on battery logo
> Power Option

>Change plan

> Advance Power Setting

>Processor Power Management

>Maximum power set to 85%

then click apply..

I hope it will work  😊

and also clean your vents

mine from idle 55 - 65c to 47 - 55c

while gaming like dota, dying light, rdr2, gta V, valorant and many more from 70 - 95c to 55 - 70c

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@RedBraveFire87, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps from the document:

Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

same problem as mine just do this update your bios then do this one 

>right click on battery logo
> Power Option

>Change plan

> Advance Power Setting

>Processor Power Management

>Maximum power set to 85%

then click apply..

I hope it will work  😊

and also clean your vents

mine from idle 55 - 65c to 47 - 55c

while gaming like dota, dying light, rdr2, gta V, valorant and many more from 70 - 95c to 55 - 70c

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.