Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-dc0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I bought an Omen 15-dc0xxx around late November, and since the first week I've been confronted with an audio problem.

Using Realtek High Definition Audio, theres a 1-2 second period when I play some videos where I simply can't hear anything. This doesn't always happen, but I've noticed it occurs mostly when I start up a video from a fresh tab or unpause a video after a few minutes of pausing. I've confirmed its not my headphones' fault after trying 3 pairs of earbuds and one headset, and all had the same issue. For this Realtek problem, I've uninstalled and updated to the latest driver, but the problem persists.

A few weeks ago, I learned of the default Windows audio driver, and so I switched to the High Definition Audio Device: the few-seconds mute problem was gone! However less than a day of using it, another problem came up: I was hearing a low crackling/static noise out of my left earbud. Again, I used the same earbuds and headset to test on this laptop and on other devices, but only my Omen laptop produced the crackling. I tried several more solutions since this was a Windows Driver.

-uninstalling and reinstalling

-turning off Fast-boost (anecdotes claim it was a solution)
-setting the minimum procesor state to 100% (anecdotes)
-disabling certain drivers in the Device Manager (to lower my DPC latency)

-changing the sample rate and bit depth

... but all of these either did nothing or were temporary solutions. I'm not going to go any further without more insightful suggestions since I'm not very tech-savvy and don't want to risk damage to my laptop.

So in conclusion, I've tried both Realtek High Deinition Audio and WIndow's High Definition Audio Device. On Realtek, theres a second of muted sound whenever I play some videos, and for the High Definition Audio Device I hear crackling in my left headphone. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this lol

Edit: forgot to mention that my BIOS is I think the latest, AMI F.07.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Defaultz,

Welcome to HP Support Forums!

I see from your post that you're having issues related to audio on your HP notebook. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Splendid effort and fabulous description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you checked if the noise is audible when connected to a headphone

Have you tried to update the drivers either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried to run any test on Audio from F2?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

I  would suggest here is to run the audio test from the F2 (Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance).

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Audio - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. Click Audio, then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If the audio test passes then the evidence indicates towards a software issue.

I would suggest here is to Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue still persists, I would suggest here is to update the Bios on your computer from  HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers.

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers.

Then check the box delete the software for this device.

Restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and audio drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Once done, restart the computer.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had such problems month ago. And what I did, I just uninstalled Realtek audio driver and this problem isn't  occuring now. But, after doing such actions, if you toggle audio on/off keyboard(F5) the key won't light. It's the only problem.

HP Recommended

@Jeet_singh hey there, thanks for the reply

I honestly don't remember when the issue started, but I'm certain I didn't have this laptop long before it occured. I didn't make any major changes to the PC before that. The crackling can only be heard through headphones. The speakers appear fine.

Using F2, my laptop passed the audio test from both speaker and headphone, so I guess that its a software issue.

I launched HP Support Assistant as you said, and installed all available updates. There was one for Realtek Audio, so I switched back to Realtek and the audio mute went away for a few hours before returning. I checked the link you gave me and my audio, chipset and Bios versions were all up to date (assuming they were the ones with the latest release date).

i also deleted the software and reinstalled the drivers under the "Sound, video and game controllers" tab, but both problems are still occuring.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am facing the same issue. Did you find any solution?

I also have another issue with Realtek drivers. When the Realtek Audio drivers are enabled, and I am playing a video via External Speakers (loudspeakers), the vomule automatically reduces. The volume bar remains the same, but the overall volume decreases significantly.

While on Mixrosoft Windows audio drivers, I hear this low crackling/static noise out of my left earbud. Same as you.

If you solved this problem, please help me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.