Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my laptop has been overheating pretty much ever since I got it and I have came across several fixes which also have reduced FPS in games significantly. The main solution I have been using is turning “Maximum processor state” from 100% to 99% in the advanced power options. On 100% my CPU temps go up to 100 and on 99% to around 80 in game. I have always thought of contacting HP support and finally got the time and feeling to. The thing is even though the temps and FPS go up on 100% my CPU and GPU usage looks to stay the same as on 99% at 40-60% CPU and GPU usage in Overwatch. On other games the usage also stays around the same on both 99% and 100% maximum processor state. I have figured out that it has something to do with “Turbo boost power max” (at least it is called that in Intel tuning utility). Which is set to 45.00W. I have tried to lower it and turning the maximum processor state 100% it reduces the FPS but not really the temps, which still stay quite high. So my question is if there is a fix to lower the temps and still get fine FPS or is there a way to force my GPU and CPU to work harder, other than turning “Prefer maximum performance” on in Nvidia control panel since I have already tried all of that. Lowering the settings doesn’t increase my FPS and just lowers CPU and GPU usages. Turning the settings higher just increases the usages but the FPS stays the same or gets worse. Waiting for your answers and happy spring!

Screenshots when maxium processor state set to 100% and when it is set to 99%:

unknown.png

Bossari_0-1646322335158.png

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@Bossari,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the HP Laptop gets High temps & FPS when max processor state set to 100%.

I have a few recommendations 

• Update your Notebook computer to the latest BIOS from HP.COM.
  • CPU temperature can affect FPS if your CPU is running at very high temperatures and needs to be throttled to reduce the temps
  • The high temps affect FPS because the CPU is likely throttling under load, causing dips in performance to stay in line with temperatures. You'll see a pretty drastic drop in temperatures by applying thermal paste
  • Make sure the Windows and HP support assistant updates are up to date. 
  • Also, to avoid the CPU damage, we do not recommend throttling or overclocking the CPU, I recommend you refrain from using high-performance games on this laptop as it's not built for the same.

For any hardware issue or repair please click on the link Phone Assist Worldwide

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.