Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
06-05-2022 01:46 PM
I want to preface this by saying that this problem/feature (?) is so infuriating that i cannot play most video games while the AC adapter is plugged in due to a low FPS (which I can very easily play while the AC adapter is unplugged) which as i am sure you can understand, is annoying. I have tried to look through every thread/discussion about this problem on the internet but i have not found ANY useful information.
For the past 1.5 years, I have not been able to play any game while my AC adapter is plugged into my laptop as when i plug in my AC Adapter, my performance goes down significantly. I have pasted a section of a reddit post i submitted.
This problem first appeared in early 2021 for seemingly no reason (i think now the pin in the centre of the ac adapter was damaged) and since then i have not been able to play while the ac adapter was plugged in since the frame rates would be obscenely low which as you can imagine is extremely annoying and stressful since i can't really play with friends for long periods of time.
I should also mention that this problem happened both on Windows 10 as well as Windows 11 now
What is interesting about this problem is that there are 3 "states" of performance.
- When my ac adapter is not connected, i get the highest performance and can play games at a very good FPS (For example Modded Skyrim is usually around 50fps-60fps) which i call State 1
- When my ac adapter is not connected, then is connected the performance is extremely bad (For example Modded Skyrim would drop from 50fps-60fps to 1-3fps then immediately goes up to 50fps-60fps when disconnected) which i call State 2
- When i restart my computer while the AC adapter is connected, the laptop enters State 3 where the performance is still very low, but not as low as State 2 (for example Modded Skyrim is usually around 10-15fps while in State 2)
- For some statisitcs, when it is unplugged (State 1) then is plugged into the AC adapter (State 2) the changes are:
Go from 2.50GHz to 0.79GHz for the CPU (Task manager)
GPU clock to go from 1380MHz to 300MHz (Performance overlay)
Memory Clock to from 5000MHz to 405MHz (Performance overlay)
GPU power to go from 13W to 3W (Performance overlay)
GPU voltage to go from 0.7V to 0.6V (Performance overlay)I am not well educated enough on computers to know what this all means other than the computer is bottlenecking itself for no reason but i hope that this is helpful
- To illustrate this problem, if i were to restart my computer while the AC adapter is plugged in the Laptop would be in State 3 (low performance), if i were to then unplug the AC adapter it would enter State 1 (Highest performance) and then if were to plug the AC adapter back in it would enter State 2 (extremely low performance)
As you can tell from my experimenting, the problem is with the AC adapter. Before you ask, I am not using the original AC Adapter as it was chewed through by my Dog lol HOWEVER this problem started happening before this happened and only like 6 months after I bought this Laptop (which was very expensive and apparently high quality). I have bought 3 different AC adapters. I have sent my laptop into a local repair centre 4 times but the problem has not changed at all but on the last occasion the man at the place ordered an 120W HP AC adapter which should have fixed the problem but has not.
Can someone please please help me with this problem as it means that i cannot play any games while the ac adapter is plugged in and has impacted my mental health a bit. I am thinking of buying a non-HP gaming computer soon as I really want to play games for longer than 30 minutes at a time but i would rather try to fix this problem
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community