Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-cx0058wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have this issue with both of these Laptops that I purchased at Walmart on clearance, they were both store displays at different locations, I can't seem to find the actual name of the Laptop but it is labeled as Hp Pavilion Gaming Laptop Model 15-cx0058wm and Walmart put them on clearance for $399.  And i paid $300 being that they where displays and only ones left, anyhow after much tinkering by one of the smarter employees in Electronics at Walmart, to actually get to the point where you could factor reset the laptop, being that the employee's that sold them to me simply pulled them from display and basically said good luck, they get to the 44% completed point of resetting then thats it, it just shows Resetting this PC 44% with the balls in a circle over it showing its thinking, or whatever that indicates.  And with this one im looking at it has been on the 44%  for the last 20 hours with charger plugged in.  Sorry for the rambling but any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

At what point do i use the flash drive that i downloaded windows to?

??? You  use it when you go to reinstall Windows to your PC as per what you asked about using earlier.

Are you needing instructions on how to do this?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MikeHunter 

See if your models have the UEFI Diagnostics tool installed.
While the laptop is off and plugged in to the AC charger, press the power button and rapidly tap the F2 key until the Diagnostics window opens.
Go to Component Tests and navigate to Storage (hard drives). Run the short test. If nothing is found, run the long test.
IF no errors found, go to Power and run that test.

Im suspecting a corrupted drive and it might be you can simply reinstall Windows from an 8GB USB drive.

Let me know what you find.

HP Recommended

If i had to reinstall windows from the flash drive would i have to buy a new windows install? Also ill try the F2 thing when i get back home in an hour or two and let u know what happens, i appreciate the help 

HP Recommended

The F2 diagnostics is to see if possibly the hard drive is failing. If so, you should be under HP warranty to get it fixed.

If it doesn't find anything wrong, you can try the USB installation method.

Here is the link to the USB install creator that you can run from another Windows 10 computer...

Create media Windows 10

During some point in the beginning of the creation part, there will be an option to check the box for making the installer more compatible with the PC you are making it from. UNCHECK that box, the continue.

You will not need to know the activation key. If it asks, skip it and continue. Windows will activate when it connects to the internet to find updates. 👍

If you need instructions on how to do this process exactly, let me know and I will write up a tutorial for you.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

??? You  use it when you go to reinstall Windows to your PC as per what you asked about using earlier.

Are you needing instructions on how to do this?

HP Recommended

Let me know if you do and Ill post a tutorial.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.