Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot use my Touchpad and keyboard at the same time like is very much needed and desired in many applications (and most games) because the SmartSense setting does not function properly.

Going to Mouse Settings and then the Synaptics settings and turning "SmartSense" to Off does not solve the issue with the latest Synaptics drivers. Downgrading to an old Synaptics driver from 2013 does allow me to turn the SmartSense off successfully, but then other issues crop up.

I have un-installed, re-booted, re-installed, and re-booted several times with the latest driver and it simply will not work.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@winkpain

Welcome to HP support community.

First, restart the computer and tap on F10 during restart, once on BIOS screen, move the mouse cursor around to check if it works normally, 

If it does, it would confirm a software issue and you follow the below steps if it doesn't work on its a hardware failure and I would suggest a touchpad replacement. 

I recommend you to uninstall any generic synaptic drivers showing up for the touchpad (if available) under hidden devices from the device manager: 

• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt. 

• At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER: 

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 

• Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER: 

start devmgmt.msc 

• Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager. 
    NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer. 

• When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager. 

• Type exit at the command prompt. 

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices. 

And then download a new version of the synaptic drivers using this link: Click here  

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

• Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager. 
    NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer. 

• When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager. 

I will need more information than this!

"Troubleshoot the devices" ?  Which devices? Troubleshoot how? Using what tools?

Device Manager shows nothing obvious. My mouse/Trackpad, for example shows as "working properly"

I am just a customer, not a developer, so I will need a bit more detailed  guidance.

Likewise the Synaptics link you referenced telling me to "download a new version of the synaptic drivers" takes me to a general Synaptics website with no mention or apparent link to the location of said drivers. Do yo have a direct link to the appropriate drivers?

I'm afraid I will require a bit more detailed support in your response.

HP Recommended

Please, could I get more detailed info on how to proceed with this issue?

HP Recommended

@winkpain

You've done well, if the device wasn't showing "working properly" we would have to go into details, but since it is working, the troubleshooting is complete on that part...

So now, we know this isn't a driver issue, however, it could be some software conflicting with the way the device is working, so, I suggest you create a new user account and check if that works fine, here's a link to steps:
click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am not at all convinced it is not a driver issue, because I was not able to complete the troubleshooting steps you provided above as they were unclear and incomplete.

Please provide me with a direct link to the Synaptics drivers download page. The above link that you sent is a general one and does not lead a download site and as such I was not able to locate and install the current correct driver.

HP Recommended

Hey Bro, Try to install windows precision touchpad

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-precision-touchpad-drivers

HP Recommended

Thank for responding, @Jajaboss . That looked promising.

However for me, even tho on a Windows 10 HP Spectre just like the article says should work, I followed the download and instructions, installed the Precision Drivers, rebooted, and my pointer had completely disappeared ! Fortunately, touch and pen still worked. I tried troubleshooting through mouse and trackpad settings, chose default pointer settings, etc., rebooted, and still no visible pointer.

Restored to previous, at least half working, set-up....

HP Recommended

I am still having driver issues with this. Mouse/touchpad stops working (touch screen and pen continue to function) several times a day. Going to the Synaptics icon in taskbar (with touch or pen), opening Mouse Properties/Device Settings and  clicking on "Reset Devices" will solve the problem.

Please, does anyone have a resource for a fully functioning Touchpad driver that will allow Smart Sense to be turned completely off so that the Touchpad and keyboard can be used at the same time??

HP Recommended

Hello @winkpain 

Not sure why your post wasn't moved to the laptop section, as this is the Gaming section.

The HP employees should have asked you to post the exact Product Number of your X360 before offering help! 🙄

Its found in the HP Support Assistant.

But I will offer what I can anyways.

Sometimes even with the latest driver, you can still experience the issue on any laptop. No matter if its Synaptics or ELAN touch-pads. Assuming you do have Synaptics, here is a registry hack that has worked for me in the past.

In Windows Search Bar, type regedit and hit the Enter key.

In the Registry, navigate to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults  and set the value of the first 3 entries of PalmKm... to the number 0.

Hope that helps you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.