Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-ce011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently either by HP or Windows push and update to the computer since then every time computer wake up from sleep the keyboard and mouse completely stop working. I need to do a hard shutdown (push and hold power button about 15 seconds) if I want to get the keyboard and mouse to work, after that computer works normally till next sleep event. 

This is very frustrating, please tell me how to get this issue resolve. 

I don't use this computer for gaming, I use it to teach high school students how to use Solidworks CAD modeling. I really need to have computer working well. I really appreciate any help from you guys.

Running Windows 10 Pro

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Malshantha I suggest you make a few changes to the way sleep mode works under power options:

• Change - "Put the computer to sleep" to preferred time,
  • And Change - "Turn off the monitor" to never.

If the issue persists, try the below steps:

Disabling the hybrid sleep, followed by updating all available Windows updates and the BIOS update from the HP website, please follow the below steps to disable the hybrid sleep after performing a hard reset on the device should help resolve the issue.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control panel.

2. Make sure the View by setting is set to Category, and then click Hardware and Sound.

3. Click Power Options.

4. Click Change plan settings for the power plan that is selected.

Changing  the plan settings

5. Click Change advanced power settings.

Clicking Change advanced power settings

6. Expand Sleep, and then expand Allow hybrid sleep.

7. Select Off from the On battery drop-down menu, and then select Off from the Plugged in drop-down menu.

Selecting Off in the On battery drop-down menu

8. Click OK.

Also, change to a different setting mode to see if the problem is resolved: 

1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter

2) Expand Mice and other pointing devices. For keyboard driver, expand Keyboards

3) Right-click the device name of your mouse or keyboard driver and click Properties.

4) Click Power Management, make sure the box for Allow the computer to turn off his device to save power option is un-checked and click OK.

5) Reboot your computer. See if this problem occurs again

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I followed your instructions but no luck. Computer still has the same issue. What else can I try ? 

HP Recommended

@Malshantha Could you connect an alternate keyboard and mouse to check if that works fine,

if not, please create a new user account to check if that helps:click here for steps.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@ Riddle,

Hi, I can use the computer without any issues with external (USB) key board and mouse.

Note: 

If I do a hard shutdown of the computer ( press and hold the power button for 15 seconds ) then following power up the computer's on board keyboard and mouse pad works normally... issue comes back when computer go to sleep. If it goes to sleep one time then on board keyboard and mouse stop working until next hard shutdown.

Thank you

Malshantha.

HP Recommended

@Malshantha If an external keyboard and mouse works fine while the internal doesn't, this is a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Riddle,

Just one question, if this is a hardware malfunction why do key board and mouse start working normally every time I do a hard shutdown and restart ? 

I will create a ticket hopefully I can get this issue resolve soon.

Thanks you for all your help 

HP Recommended

@Malshantha It could be either an intermittent failure or to do with the connection that works only when reset via the hard shutdown and restart,

That said, they should be able to get this sorted, Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I went through the link you provided to determine my service options, since my warranty has expired in 2018, I don't get any service options or does not get any options to talk with a customer service representative. 

HP site shows third party service company's website but after that it seems HP does not track of my computer service status.

*How can I talk with HP customer support representative ?

*What is the phone number for customer service ?

*Is there a way I could send the computer to service center through HP instead of sending it out to some third party company not knowing how long it will take for service ?

Relative to my income, this is a very expensive product for me so I always took care of it every well. That is why I am hesitant to send it out to some third party company 100 miles away from me. 

It looks like entire computer need to come a part from the bottom up to replace the key board of this computer, that is why I would like to send it out through HP instead of send it directly to a third party company without knowing now badly they would mess up my computer since HP team can not point out where the actual issue is. 

*Is there anyway I could talk with HP rep (not the virtual chat) to determine best solution for me ?

I really hope you can understand my concern.

I really appreciate with any advice and help.

Thank you

Malshantha

HP Recommended

@Malshantha I understand you concern and I'm afraid the other option for the out of warranty device is to check with the ASP, 

If you have an HP authorized service center near by, you should be able to take it to them and have it checked,

Here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: Click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.