Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Over the past week, a select few of my keys have been operating strangely. The following keys become unresponsive after awhile and require me to repeatedly hit them in order for them to work again:

0 (zero)

p

;

backspace

the right arrow

The keys aren't sticky or dirty; I don't exactly hold a large amount of money so I'm forced to take extra care of my devices. With my most recent fan cleaning, I made sure to put some extra work into the keyboard. However, upon booting it back up, the issue still happens. There's something incredibly interesting to note. If I hold down backspace and type any other key, the letters/key presses show up just fine. However, if I hold down backspace and press any of the other afflicted keys, those keys instead operate as backspace. I've had this quirk happen once or twice now. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the keyboard drivers at least once, as if that would do anything. Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

Update: The quirk goes beyond just the backspace key. Holding any of the afflicted keys while pressing a different afflicted key will result in the second key performing the function of the first. For example, holding P while typing 0 will result in P being displayed repeatedly. This happens much more frequently than I would like, and while it isn't particularly a deal breaker, it may be indicative of underlying issues. I would also like to add that my [ key, when displayed in paint or notepad, will come out significantly bluer than every other key.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Rozark

I reviewed your post and I understand that some of the keys on the keyboard are not working correctly.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you run a test on the keyboard to make sure whether it is a hardware or a software related issue.

Refer to the below article to run a test on the keyboard.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

I wrote three paragraphs and authentication failed, so I'm just going to run through this for a second time quickly. I ran your test, and while the problematic keys came up fine, other keys that were working fine came up as problems instead. The troubleshooter recommended I replace the keyboard, which is something I accepted as the outcome a few days ago. I've been out of warranty for 4-5 months(?) now, so I doubt HP would be able to do anything for me. I spent a day looking at alternative retailers to replace my keyboard, seeing how HP themselves does not carry it through their own parts list. I am now just biding time and waiting for the full operation to begin. Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

@Rozark

Thank you for the update.

You can purchase all the replacement parts available for your computer from HP part surfer.

Follow the steps in the below article for detailed instructions.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372736

Or else you can contact the support team and they will assist you in ordering the part.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.