Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck0000 (2Y4A6AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product name: OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck0000.

Issue: the manual control of the fan speed in OMEN Gaming Hub is ignored most of the times.

Description: since I would like to use my notebook also in situations where its CPU (or GPU) is not severely stressed, and I would like to "appreciate silence" in these situations, the automatic fan speed imposed by OMEN Gaming Hub (i.e., 2000 RPM, which is rather excessive for apparently no reason, even at temperatures ranging below 40 °C) is not suitable for me. Even though the MAX mode always works (giving the impression that the notebook is trying to take off), most of the times the Manual control is completely ignored for no apparent reason, both if I set it at low speed or high speed, and also if I controll it by means of the graph. A few times it worked - and I could not figured out under which conditions - but after some time it gets ignored again all of a sudden. When the manual control worked, it allowed the fan speed to drop to 1200 RPM, which is perfectly fine, and keeps the temperature of the CPU and GPU in the exact same range of the excessive automatic 2000 RPM, showing that such a high lower threshold cannot be imposed for any sensible reason, except for annoying users.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Calzi40 

Is your machine on the following list ? If yes you can change Fan speed:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/ish_3912817-3818061-16

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

Thank you for your kind reply. First of all, the answer to your question is: yes, my notebook is in the list described in the link.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the issue I experienced concerns the fact that the "manual" mode of the "thermal control" mentioned in the link you posted simply malfunctions. In fact, sometimes it works just fine, sometimes it is simply ignored from the beginning, sometimes it reverts to the "auto" mode all of a sudden (even though the thermal control still displays the "manual" mode as on, the fan speed is that of the "auto" mode, and does not change if I change the settings in the "manual" mode).

HP Recommended

After some time, I found a provisional solution to my problem.

It looks like that, for the manual control of the fan speed in the OMEN Gaming Hub, the services HP App Helper HSA Service and HP Omen HSA Service must be running. Even though both services are set to 'automatic', they do not start automatically with the OS; at least, they do not start consistently (sometimes both start, sometimes both do not start, sometimes only the first on does, sometimes only the second one does).

In addition, if the OMEN Gaming Hub is running and one of the aforementioned services is not, then starting (or restarting) those services will not solve the issue. One must first make sure that both the aforementioned services are running, end the OMEN Gaming Hub process from Task Manager (if running), and then start it again. Closing the app (and not ending the corresponding process in Task Maganer) is not sufficient.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.